jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CHESTER : 1890's Fitzgearld Gang Had a Hideout in a cave In Hands Pass.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? They May Have Hidden Caches In or Near it.

? ? ? ? ? ? ?: an old Man Died in Southern Chester Co. After The Revolution, who served as an Informent for the British. He Suposedly Buried a Crock Of Gold Coins, Near His Hut.

DELAWARE CO.? : Hessians Supposedly Thru a Cannon stuffed with gold into the Delaware, Between Chester & Eddyston.

BUCKS COUNTY
the Doane gang buried a large cache of gold & silver in the area of Buckingham on the Old Preston Rich Farm that once stood on McChanicsville road.

? Among Many Other Places In the County

MONTGOMERY COUNTY. the Doanes also operated here during the revolution, and many stories of caches exist.

YOU HAVE A VERY HISTORICAL AREA WITH MANY MANY CACHE STORIES, Way Too Many To Post.
? ?Buy a Book On PA TREASURES.

Either? UNITED STATES TREASURE ATLAS , VOLUME 8 , By Thomas P. Terry

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? OR

? ? ? ? ? ? ? A GUIDE TO TREASURE IN PENNSYLVANIA By Michael Paul Henson.

Read The Stories & RESEARCH at Your Librarys & Historical Societies.

? ? WELCOME to TreasureNet & Good Luck

? ? ? ? ? ? Jeff

OP
OP
M

mrmulch

thanks jeff of pa. i will look into those books and the other stuff you mentioned. Monk, you should have just skipped my post, no need to comment, just like most newbies, i asked the dumb question. At least Jeff pointed me in the right direction without being a dick.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry About That Post mrmulch,

I removed it for You

Most Here are Very Friendly in their Responses, Don't Judge us All By One Comment.

? ? ? ? ? ? Jeff

P.S.

The ONLY DUMB QUESTIONS, are The Ones You Hold in & Don't Ask ;)

B

bradandmilan

mrmulch -

Welcome to the forum! I am in your part of PA, specifically in Chester County. Like Jeff says, lots of history here. I do not have a local treasure book, but have been reading local history recently. I am new to detecting, and have been enjoying the fellowship here on the treasurenet forum.

Jeff and Marc are both really good about addressing inappropriate posts. If you read one before they do, ignore the negative stuff. There's lots of good people here with experience and great ideas.

Brad

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
hey guys i live in your area as well. wilmington de to be exact but i work in chester pa ( right where that cannon full of gold allegidly was dumped!) maybe we can all get together for a hunt someday?

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
I"M SORRY MRMULCH, That my post was taken in a bad light. I thought I gave you good information. I gave you 3 good places to search. = County History Books, Dead Newspapers, And to talk to people. Plus you must make the effort to do the research. So go for it! I know of what I talk, but somethings I just can't talk about. Good luck, and PEACE

B

bradandmilan

Hollowpoint,

Maybe a group hunt is in order. Let me know if you have any interesting leads. I can do further research. You can PM me if you want.

Tinicum, near Chester PA has interesting early colonial history with the Swedes and Dutch.

Brad

OP
OP
M

mrmulch

The main problem with our area is private property/historical sites. Another early settlement I found out about this weekend was an early dutch or finnish whaling community at lewes beach delaware (about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs from west chester pa.) there was a dredging operation there that brought up artifacts from the 1600's, mainly pieces of pottery that were destroyed by the dredging. Alot of old relics are found there and anyone can detect there. Anything under water belongs to the state though. The messed up thing is that this dredging operation was to deepen or improve the beach and even though they new old artifacts were being destroyed, the gov't didn't make them stop until it was almost complete. I'll be heading there soon.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
mr mulch, you are allowed to detect at lewis at that settlement site and people have been finding things however,i believe that all finds are to be turned over to the state,underwater or not. the state of delaware really sucks when it comes to detecting. in most cases they would rather have the artifacts rot in the ground before they would let anyone dig them. this is one of the rare cases where they are allowing people to dig historic artifacts,but they still have their controll over it. if this site were 5 miles inland no one would ever get the chance to dig anything.all detecting (and i do mean all) on state owned land is stricktly off limits except for seashore areas east of the dune line.just thought you might like to know.

OP
OP
M

mrmulch

Secretary of State Unveils Shipwreck Signs on Reopened Lewes Beach
Signs Ask Visitors to Take Discovered Artifacts to Zwaanendael Museum
May 19, 2005

LEWES BEACH - Secretary of State Harriet Smith Windsor today unveiled new signs at Lewes Beach to educate visitors about the artifacts from an 18th-century shipwreck that continue to wash up onshore. The new signs encourage beachgoers who find artifacts to take them to the nearby Zwaanendael Museum for examination.

Hailing the efforts of local volunteers, who have worked closely with the Department of State's Lewes Beach Archaeology Project to collect thousands of artifacts, Secretary Windsor said, "This is your beach, and we want to thank the volunteers who have been out here-in all kinds of weather-to assist in this effort." Volunteers have donned snow shoes in the winter to comb the beach for treasures. They have spent vacation time to help out, and have assisted in nearly every aspect of the venture.

Windsor was joined by other state officials, including Lewes Mayor Jim Ford, and by volunteers from the Delaware Marine Archaeological Society and the Archaeological Society of Delaware, who are heavily involved in the community effort to retrieve, process, and identify the artifacts. The items are from what is believed to be a sunken 1760s-era cargo ship just offshore. The beach has been closed since December so that archaeologists could collect valuable pottery, glass, and other items from the ship that were deposited on the beach during a offshore dredging operation to replenish Lewes Beach.

The new beach signs installed today inform visitors that they may either donate artifacts to the museum or keep with they find. The state encourages people to bring the items to the museum to be identified and possibly photographed.

Lewes Mayor Jim Ford praised the "excellent coordination

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
WOW :o i stand corrected!! thats awesome! i cant believe that the state is finally being cool to treasure hunters! thanks for the new info,i know where im going to be heading!

OP
OP
M

mrmulch

I went and detected absolutely nothing! well a buried mountain dew can and a nail.. I did find 5 pieces of pottery and a piece of glass from the 18th century shipwreck. It's pretty abundant on the beach and I heard that it's washed ashore daily.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread