SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA DIVERS ARTIFACT SITE

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So. Cal Divers, if you want to find some really interesting artifacts try this site. Many of the old timers (early and mid 70's) might know it but there were very few of us actually diving and recovering artifacts from it. What you will recover is porcelain, silverware, and many other objects related to the old Pacific Steamship Company and others of the era.

At one point my girlfriend and I had collected a complete 12 setting set of porcelain dinnerware including salt & pepper shakers, creamer and serving platter form the Pacific Steamship Company (the price they finally brought at auction made the effort well worth it).

The site is easy to find. Just line up on the steps of the old Redondo Beach Library (just North of the Pier) and get wet. Back then, about 100ft off shore you started seeing the pilings sticking out of the bottom (even more so after a lot of wave action). We literaly just ran out fingers through the sand and/or used a ping pong paddle as a fan. Work all the way out to the edge of the Trench.

Most don't remember but before LA Harbor was built, Redondo Beach was the major Sea Port in the area. Two Piers went out to the edge of the trench and Shipping would just pull in and unload. There were railroad tracks on both of the piers and warehouses from beginning to end. The entire area is literaly full of goodies.

Redondo was also a tourist mecca in the 20's and 30's so expect to find a lot more then what I've described here if you use this as a starting point and do your homework.

When doing your research you will eventually hear the story of a runaway cargo train that went off the end of the south pier. I did a lot of research on that one but came up dry. no actual Newspaper stories, nothing.

I'm giving this site out because of the literaly hundreds of items we brought up as well as those that friends found and the fact that I have no plans to ever get back out there. With the advent of our modern detecting gear I can only imagine what could still be there to find.
Deepsix

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions