Southern Caribbean question

Lcb24kt

Jan 31, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75, Blisstool, Whites TDI, Whites MXT all pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

JAN2011

Apr 21, 2009
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
White's DFX - MXT - Excalibur II
No problem on the beaches here in San Juan, (I have even had a police officer ask me to keep an eye out for keys he lost). You do need permission for school yards and parks though.

Good luck

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
It is my understanding, that casual beach beach metal detecting, at the various S. American and Mexican beach resorts, is a common site. I suppose if you asked enough questions, of enough police, bureaucrats, or cruise-ship lawyers (as mackaydon suggests), you might find someone to tell you "no". This would be because, perhaps they're couching the answer in terms of shipwreck salvor type international treasures stuff, or historical monument looting, etc... Yet casual beach goer type stuff ....... well ... sort of like here in the USA: I bet if you inquired about any beach, in any state, under any level of govt. (city, state, county, or federal), and asked with just the right combination of words, phrases, and inferences, that you could also get a "no" here too. Even in places that are routinely detected. So be careful thinking the best way is to ask travel consulates and such. Try this instead: if you are skittish, just inquire ahead to detector dealers in those areas. Most of the major manufacturers (Whites, Garrett, Fisher, etc...) have dealers in other countries, including mexico, etc.... Pick the dealer nearst where you're going, and drop them an email or phone call, to see if their customers go to beaches like those.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The detector dealers wont arrest you. I'd stay with the opinion of the local police. If you wish, tell the cop what the local detector dealer said and see how far that will get you with the cop who has a contrary opinion.
Don.....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
"The detector dealers wont arrest you."

Yes, but if the detector dealer's customers don't have any problem hunting, then why ask further? Why not find out what the really goes on, rather than subject yourself to capricous and arbitrary "no's"?

Like I said, people have followed your advice mackaydon: Imagine their surprise, sitting there on a beach blanket, and seeing others plying the sand with no problem.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The opposite could also be true as one could watch the guy who followed the dealer's advise get arrested.
Bottom line: to each his own; measure the risk and the consequences before relying on anyone; and have a "Plan B"--in the event..........
Don...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Yes, anything *could* happen. There could be a bengal tiger waiting to prounce out of the shadows too, to get you too.

This is what gets me: your advice would apply to USA hunt sites as well (why wouldn't it? You can't be too safe afterall, right?): No matter how many people detect, un-bothered (even if cops, rangers, lifeguards, etc... pass you by and don't care less), your advice would still tell visitors "that's not good enough. Go ask lawyers and govt. officials, and be sure to show up with a shovel in your hand, lest they not have the right mental image".

Like I say, I'd just be afraid of a "no", where no really cares less (till you ask).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread