Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find!

Mooch

Dec 14, 2008
Super nice blades I really like the material. What county were they found in?

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Mooch said:
Super nice blades I really like the material. What county were they found in?

Thanks Mooch, they were found in Jefferson county. I really like the striped hornstone material too.

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
They're most likely hopewell cache blades. There have been really large numbers of blades similar to that found in Caches i.e. the Beardstown Cache.

I do like the range of colors in the materials as well. I'm assuming they are Cobden but I'm sure Mooch would have a better idea than I. Maybe Indiana hornstone also??

Hippy

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow oh wow! Look at how each one seems to have been made by the same hand. That to me is just amazing. Beautiful cache that should always stay together.
Very nice thirty7. That would be a find of a lifetime. Thanks for sharing them. The first picture does not do them justice for size. Does each one show similiar workmanship?

TnMtns

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Treefrog said:
killer man that would be awesome to find. Did you dig/sift them up or just run across them somewhere in a field?

Appreciate the comments folks. I acquired these earlier this year.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
TnMountains said:
Wow oh wow! Look at how each one seems to have been made by the same hand. That to me is just amazing. Beautiful cache that should always stay together.
Very nice thirty7. That would be a find of a lifetime. Thanks for sharing them. The first picture does not do them justice for size. Does each one show similiar workmanship?

TnMtns

Thanks Tn. I'm also amazed by the signature knapping style from the ancient who made them. All of them are very similar except for the smallest piece which is a flake with minimal work, mostly uniface with a little over under flaking. Another thing I like about the cache is 4 are made off the same core of hornstone. The other 4 are made of another material ( maybe Cobden like hippy suggested ) but you can tell those were made off the same core too. Some of the stripes and inclusions match up if you hold them together. regards, 37

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
was looking at those blades again 37,a couple of those blades look alot like they were made of fr nethers(the two bottom left in particular) ,i am not saying they are, but the banding is pretty identical to nethers. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
creek astronaut said:
was looking at those blades again 37,a couple of those blades look alot like they were made of fr nethers(the two bottom left in particular) ,i am not saying they are, but the banding is pretty identical to nethers. :thumbsup:

I agree with you on that. I know the darker stuff is Indiana hornstone but I'm unsure about the others, I need to study the lithic types of that area. I know the ridge was traded extensively in every direction , I guess it's possible. later on bro.

adenaman, little john, viking,...appreciate the comments guys, take er easy.

P

pickaway

I'd guess it Illinois hornstone aka Cobden banded...Harrison county chert can mimic Cobden ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread