Sov GT 8 coil

Pauln

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sov GT 8' coil

I want to get a new coil for my Sov GT. After speaking to others I am more confused than ever. Maybe I should just flip one of the coins I find :-)

Most people tell me the 8 inch coil is the best and I am going to get one. The issue
Tornado 8 vs. SunRay s-8

Here is what 2 people told me and see why I am confused
A 20 year user:

Yes, I prefer the S-5 & S-8 coils and have been using them for 10 years or so. I think they hit the targets deeper and louder than the stock Minelab coils. I never use them anymore. For lawns, parks, etc. I only use the SunRay coils. You will love them!

Another long time user
,I have used(3 of these) the S-8 and really wanted to like this coil,but compared with the Tornado 800 coil(7 1/4") it doesn't have the depth or as stable.The Tornado 800 will come very close to the 10" inch Tornado in depth,in most ground conditions that I search.The sensitivity can be maxed on this small coil,also separates targets better than any coil I've used on the Sovereign including the S-5 .If I could only choose one coil the 800 Tornado would be my first choice,second the 10x12 SEF.

Does anyone have a suggestion on these 2 comments? Thank you

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need advice on coils from someone in the area you are going to use the coils in. The soil can make a difference. Is there any way you can borrow those types of coils and test them on your detector where you will be detecting?
I would love to be able to "try before you buy" anything , but doesn't happen enough.
You can also ask the dealers directly for explanations on both coil types. Hope this helps.
GL. & HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread