Sovereign gt...good all around detector?

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
I am new to the hobby, but I was wondering if the sovereign gt is a good all purpose detector? I read many good reviews on it, but how does it do and how deep does it go generally? I have a tesoro now which i love, but i already see that i a, going to want a good multifrequency machine eventually. I wont be upgrading anytime soon, i just want to know which detector to shoot for. I really appreciate any input or advice.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The simple answer is yes. The question would be, what kind of Tesoro do you have and what type of hunting do you do? The Tejon for example would be on par with the GT for Relics, but is not an all arounder, the Vaquero is a great coin/relic machine, but doesn't hold a candle to it on the beach. The multi-frequency and tones give you some very good discrimination advantages as well.

OP
OP
R

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
I have an eldorado umax which is great for now....it hits coins hard, but i like the iron masking feature of the gt

OP
OP
R

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
I was looking at a tejon.... I do mostly coin and want to find relics as well, but when looking at the features of a gt, it seems like i wouldnt need another detector unless i was doing hardcore water hunting

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am new to the hobby, but I was wondering if the sovereign gt is a good all purpose detector? I read many good reviews on it, but how does it do and how deep does it go generally? I have a tesoro now which i love, but i already see that i a, going to want a good multifrequency machine eventually. I wont be upgrading anytime soon, i just want to know which detector to shoot for. I really appreciate any input or advice.

It is a great detector. The multi frequency machine have a big advantage over single frequency machines for stability, depth and targets ID. The Sov GT is a hugely undervalued machine. People that use them will attest to their ability to adapt to many different situations.

Holler if you have questions!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had to have one land detector it would be the GT

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason I asked that is; if you owned one of the two mentioned Tesoro machines, and were only hunting where they shine, it might not be a wise investment to upgrade.Not that the GT is not worth it, just you would already have a very capable tool for the specific job. With the exception of submersion the GT is a true all terrain beast.

OP
OP
R

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
Hosenack... The eldorado umax is basically a vaquero except that it runs at 10khz instead of 14khz.....I feel like i may be missing gold since it is a lower frequency machine.... I read that you should be closer to 20hz to find gold... The gt runs from 2 to 25 hz constantly... I feel lime i would miss so little with that much range

Kbron2000

May 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT ,Fisher F2 DD Coil, NEL Tornado Coil, Garret Propointer ....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sov GT + 180 meter = Wow!!!! Love it :laughing7:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Hosenack... The eldorado umax is basically a vaquero except that it runs at 10khz instead of 14khz.....I feel like i may be missing gold since it is a lower frequency machine.... I read that you should be closer to 20hz to find gold... The gt runs from 2 to 25 hz constantly... I feel lime i would miss so little with that much range
I talked to a minelab rep and they told me that the Sovereign is not a good nugget hunter.......

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy is right with the GT not being a good nugget hunter but it knocks the socks off most detectors at the saltwater beaches for gold jewelry since jewelry is larger than most nuggets and alloyed with other metals. A pure gold nugget detector would be to sensitive for beaches with salt and black sand.

OP
OP
R

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
Keppy thanks for reaching out to the rep for me...i appreciate that....i never thought i would ask, but i seen that the etrac goes up to 100khz frequency....is that a good detector for gold?

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My personal opinion (I own one) is its only good for farm fields and beaches. Get into a trashy park and you will hate it. Its heavy (you can hipmount if you desire) and I can only tolorate it for a couple hours. The slow recovery is the reason it stinks for trash filled areas. You have to move at a snails pace both in sweep and forward movement. Its a wonderful detector but definatly not an all purpose.
The target footprint is huge ....did I say HUGE? So you will have difficulty sizing up a surface target as well as pinpointing it. That makes sports field jewelry hunting hard to do.
Take these points into consideration before spending 1k and then getting angry. If you want depth, its a great detector and still holds its own with the best of them.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the GT is on the heavy side but, a hip or chest mount makes it a joy to swing all day long. So far I only have 20 hrs on it and really liking it. I'm not having any problems in city parks. Get a 180 meter with it and you'll be on your way. Also, shop around you can get a new one for way less that $1K.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
Keppy thanks for reaching out to the rep for me...i appreciate that....i never thought i would ask, but i seen that the etrac goes up to 100khz frequency....is that a good detector for gold?
Etrac works like Explorers somewhere 15Khz, but differently from the rest 15,,to complicated to be simple, but you can look this

OP
OP
R

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
that was an good video.... that first find was deep!! (who loses that money buttons though!..lol)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread