Spain, watch CBS in the morning.

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CBS. Watch in the morning. 8am.
A program note...some archaeologists may not want to view some of the content.

Trez
Going to be some awesome news tomorrow for sure. Spain and archaeol (hell who cares how that word is spelled) will be sick and drooling.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Job! Good to see that above the water for the 1st time in 300 years!

If I understand how Fla works the State now comes in and has 1st pick of the goods when they didn't even lift a finger.

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I understand how Fla works the State now comes in and has 1st pick of the goods when they didn't even lift a finger.

Cost of doing business on the fleet in Florida, still better than 100% to Spain.

Dont forget, under the Treasure Trove Act, the Feds get 50%

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC You didn't like my link ... thanks a lot. No love for me.

Which ? what ? heh :P

Oh sheeesh...
I don't always read all posts...:P...
Guess that is obvious now...
At least not always right away. :)

Last edited:

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Cost of doing business on the fleet in Florida...

Interesting. When I lived in NC, the town created a business license you had to pay for if you were within the city limits. When I went to pay for it, I asked them what was I paying for. They replied, "For the privilege of doing business in town." I replied, "I had that privilege before you created this license. I could open a business here prior to this. Now, what value from the town does my business get in return for paying you for this privilege?" Silence, and a dumb look. I suspect these salvors get the same value from the state. Leave it to the gov't to tax the enterprising man for absolutely no benefit in return. I'm still waiting on the museum the state has created for all these artifacts they have acquired over the years. At least I could support that.

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not here.
State gets 20... that's it.
Always been that way... since day one... eons ago.

Sorry, but the Treasure Trove Tax is very, very real in the US.
Cite Cesarini v. United States, 296 F.Supp. 3 (N.D. Ohio 1969), is a historic case decided by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, where the court ruled that treasure trove property is included in gross income for the tax year when it was discovered. The case is frequently cited in American law school textbooks as an example of the nuances of income taxation.

Gold Bars Pulled From 1850s Shipwreck? Taxable Says IRS

The resting place of the gold was discovered back in 1988, but getting to it was tough. Besides, recovery efforts became mired in legal disputes. In all, 39 insurance companies filed claims to the recovered gold. But then finally Odyssey Marine Exploration, Inc. was able to—bring it to the surface on none other than April 15, 2014, Tax Day!

The SS Central America sank in a hurricane on Sept. 12, 1857. She went down 160 miles off the South Carolina coast. The ship was carrying 425 passengers plus gold. Now, as with any other “treasure trove”—a term that actually appears in the tax law—the IRS will get a nice share.
It surprises many people that cash or valuables you find are taxed, even if you didn’t really earn it. So says Cesarini v. United States, a case involving a man who bought a used piano for $15 and found about $5,000 in cash inside. When the IRS said it was taxable income. Mr. Cesarini went to court, and lost at trial and on appeal. Does this mean the gold will be taxed?
It sure does. If you recover your own property, it generally shouldn’t be income. Take art stolen by the Nazis and later recovered. If you can prove it’s yours, it’s not taxed.

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice article, a well earned success, my congratulations!

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

No - it's not that cut & dry anymore. Because there are a lot of "pieces" (not just of 8) they may take a portion if there's something interesting they don't already have. They probably won't take any at this stage (maybe one or two royales, but probably not). Florida has a unique situation where Spanish are hands-off & the state already has so much they don't need more. Brent's crew is in a great position with this find.

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ALWAYS be careful what you ask for....

"The government is preparing to request information from the Spanish consulate in Miami after the recent announcement of different treasure hunters companies that have extracted gold of wrecks 1715 fleet sunk off Florida, called on the French Treasury.Also, taking into account that this ship of State, consult with the lawyer James Goold, who represented Spain in cases of Juno and La Galga against Sea Hunt and Mercedes frigate against Odyssey.Spain won both cases (precisely because it was government vessels with sovereign immunity), and from the government both from the law firm in Washington said he sat a precedent that would influence the activity of treasure hunters companies: "If the treasure hunters have not gotten the message is living in a cave, "said Goold ABC "

The finding of 350 gold deposits in Vero Beach (Florida), where the fleet sank in 1715, has once again starkly open debate treasure hunters and the destruction of the historical record of Hispanic origin in the US. UU. at the hands of these "miners' heritage , which only removed the gold and items they can sell. When we remember the 1715 fleet, speak eleven thousand wrecks and dead sailors, such as Spanish American history, along with the famous coin treasure hunt these small businesses removed, regardless of the field and destroy them the context in which they have remained for 300 years."

http://abcblogs.abc.es/espejo-de-navegantes/2015/08/21/consultas-tras-el-saqueo-de-los-restos-de-once-buques-de-estado-en-florida/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trez

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
España , Usted ve los frutos de estos honrados ciudadanos que trabajan duro. La lección aprendida aquí debe ser que el trabajo duro paga y debe ser recompensado.
Si usted quisiera la oportunidad de trabajar on cualquiera de los wrecksites en nuestras aguas para próximo año 2016, por favor, solicitar un contrato de arrendamiento adecuada y seguir las mismas reglas que estos individuos honestos que trabajan duro tienen que .
Recuerde que no hay garantía de que usted será aprobado para un contrato de arrendamiento . El proceso de obtaing un contrato de arrendamiento por lo general elimina a los individuos perezosos, de mala calidad . Por favor, cumplir con todos los acuerdos de arrendamiento y las reglas del contrato de arrendamiento. Comprender?

Spain, buy a lease, work by the lease rules, once division has taken place after the season...you can take back your share to Spain and put in your museum for everyone to enjoy. Some seasons you may only end up with a musketball or a few pot shards and possibly a few coin frags as your share but that's good. That shows you worked for it, tenacity and hard work, Not audacity.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The ships of Tristan de Luna come to mind. There is a whole fleet of 11 Spanish galleons that sank in 1559 in the Florida panhandle. The University of West Florida found them but they were not treasure ships. Tristan de Luna was trying to start a new Spanish colony. Spain was not interested when UWF started to excavate the wrecks.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
The ships of Tristan de Luna come to mind. There is a whole fleet of 11 Spanish galleons that sank in 1559 in the Florida panhandle. The University of West Florida found them but they were not treasure ships. Tristan de Luna was trying to start a new Spanish colony. Spain was not interested when UWF started to excavate the wrecks.
Of course they weren't interested Pete. The only cultural heritage that Spain's interested in, is called Dinero.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread