Spanish 2 reale?

Fishtanks

Jan 21, 2010
Milton, Wi
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 / Minelab Xterra 705
I went out to many sites today. One was an old settlement in a small town in Wi. I got a 38-42 on the VDI on myMinelab X-terra 705. It came up like a dime/ quarter.This piece is the size of a quarter. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks Fishtanks
The date says 1732
weight on it is 6 grams

Well I did a little research and it looks to be a spanish 2 reale

Attachments

• IMG_2366.jpg
    IMG_2366.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,101
  • IMG_2368.jpg
    IMG_2368.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,197
  • IMG_2366.jpg
    IMG_2366.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 964
  • IMG_2368.jpg
    IMG_2368.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,033

goldcoastwayne

Apr 22, 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett SeaHunter XL500 (PI)

Attachments

• 1732 2R.jpg
    1732 2R.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,152
  • 1732 P cross.jpg
    1732 P cross.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,197
OP
OP
Fishtanks

Fishtanks

Jan 21, 2010
Milton, Wi
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 / Minelab Xterra 705
I had a feeling it was too good to be true. Thankyou for your post. It is still better than finding clad. :thumbsup:

I'd like to know what mine is made of! How do you figure out if it is silver or not???

goldcoastwayne

Apr 22, 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Detector(s) used
Sorry about that...but you are right....it certainly beats the heck out of searching for clad. It took me almost a full year of beach hunting on weekends at 1715 fleet sites to find my first cob.

The seller on ebay makes the following claim: "Material: LEAD FREE PEWTER"
The first indication that the base metal isn't silver is the weight.
Start on step three with nitric acid for further testing of your coin (there are inexpensive testing kits sold):

http://www.ehow.com/how_4472113_check-silver-authenticity.html

goldcoastwayne

geordiefred

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2010
Hi Mate "
The quick way to test for real old silver is to spit on your forefinger & thumb and then rub the coin, afterwards smell your coin if it smells something like rotten eggs it genuine silver.
I have attached pictures of a 1721 2 Reales of Spain from the Madrid mint, found by myself in a pasture here in England a couple of months ago. hope this helps.
cheers :icon_thumright:
Fred

Attachments

• DSC_0023.JPG
    DSC_0023.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,920
  • DSC_0024.JPG
    DSC_0024.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,824

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
geordiefred said:
Hi Mate "
The quick way to test for real old silver is to spit on your forefinger & thumb and then rub the coin, afterwards smell your coin if it smells something like rotten eggs it genuine silver.
I have attached pictures of a 1721 2 Reales of Spain from the Madrid mint, found by myself in a pasture here in England a couple of months ago. hope this helps.
Fred
Thats a Pistareen. Much better quality than the silver cobs minted in the colonies.

geordiefred

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2010
Hi"
Yes your correct mate the coin is a pistareen but its the only Reale I have, the point I was trying to make is that by rubbing spit on the coin & then checking for the rotten egg smell is a way to check for true old silver. The coin fishtank found looks genuine to me & shows sign of some real age, while the ebay item looks too shiny & new a definite fake.
Good luck and good hunting :wink:
Fred

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
I can see using that authentication method at one of the big coin shows. Security would probably be showing you the way out.... :laughing7:

Good catch Wayne, you're hired. You sure know how to pee on someone's cornflakes.... :'(

Stan

goldcoastwayne

Apr 22, 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Detector(s) used
DiveWrecks said:
I can see using that authentication method at one of the big coin shows. Security would probably be showing you the way out.... :laughing7:

Good catch Wayne, you're hired. You sure know how to pee on someone's cornflakes.... :'(

Stan

Who knows....should I audition for a part on "Pawn Stars"? :laughing7: LOL

Wayne

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
goldcoastwayne said:
Who knows....should I audition for a part on "Pawn Stars"? :laughing7: LOL
Wayne

Good idea. You can be Chumley's side kick....

Stan

Attachments

• ps_chum.jpg
    ps_chum.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 7,748

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
geordiefred said:
Hi"
Yes your correct mate the coin is a pistareen but its the only Reale I have, the point I was trying to make is that by rubbing spit on the coin & then checking for the rotten egg smell is a way to check for true old silver. Good luck and good hunting :wink:
Fred
Its a beautiful coin. :icon_thumright: They were never intended for use in the colonies but members sometimes find them here in Virgina and the Carolinas.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
geordiefred said:
Hi Mate "
Fred

Why not have someone else look at it if you can't tell? If your sense of smell is better than being to identify a silver coin by looking at it, I don't even know what to say. Ever think of changing your user name to Coin Hound?

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mate "
Fred

how often is that true though does it depend on circumstance?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just drip one drop of muriatic acid "pool acid" on it.. if there is a reaction its not silver. Then just rinse it well if it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread