Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey everyone,

Went on a short hunt on the Saturday at one of my old spots. Didn't have much luck and have almost given up as I could hear the thunderstorm approaching. Decided to stay until the next decent signal. Within a few minutes got good one, very deep but I couldn't find the item as the ground was saturated with water. Had about 20 mosquitoes sitting on me and as if it wasn't enough the battery in my Carrot died just when I finally started getting closer to the target. I almost gave up as the sky was getting darker every minute. Finally, changed the battery and managed to pull the target out of the ground. At first thought it was a broken button as I wasn't expecting to find any coins that day, but within seconds realized I was holding a Spanish cob! Oh man! Finally, after a dozen Spanish Reales I managed to find my very first cob. Super happy with this find.

It seems to be a 2 Reales cob from (17??) possibly Philip V (1700-1746) An unusual thing that I have noticed is the ''Y'' in ET YNDIARUM REX on the top right of the ''2'' As I would expect to see the ''I'' as in INDIARUM Maybe it might help ID the coin.

A great little hunt!

Thanks for the comments.

20170624_141655.jpg

DSC_15242abc.jpg

20170624_151249.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 52

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice. Definately a Philip V and from one of the Peruvian mints most likely Potosi. Congrats on your first. Its the other way around for me. I have three cobs and a cut Pistareen but no new world milled reales

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the very nice cob! :occasion14:

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Goodness, I can't believe the relief on the remaining details. What a cool wear pattern; for some reason the "2"s on those cobs are just so pleasing to me.

I know nothing about these in part because I'll never find one in my area. But you sure as heck earned yours, Anton, and I'm happy for you. BIG congrats on a superb recovery! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find! Still looking for a 2 reales cob after 26+ years of swinging. :occasion14:

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice. Definately a Philip V and from one of the Peruvian mints most likely Potosi. Congrats on your first. Its the other way around for me. I have three cobs and a cut Pistareen but no new world milled reales

Yes, I thought Potosi as well. I'm wondering why is it so different States vs. Canada. With us getting mostly Mexican mint Pillars of Hercules coins or of a Spanish mint...

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that's a top notch silver find. Congrats on a gorgeous first cob!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first cob! You must be so thrilled that you stuck it out, braving the mosquitoes and the looming storm. I'm not sure that I wouldn't have caved before finding the target.

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big Congrats! I like the sharp details on it.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Goodness, I can't believe the relief on the remaining details. What a cool wear pattern; for some reason the "2"s on those cobs are just so pleasing to me.

I know nothing about these in part because I'll never find one in my area. But you sure as heck earned yours, Anton, and I'm happy for you. BIG congrats on a superb recovery! :thumbsup:

Thank you. I was wondering as well about the wear pattern. Not sure if it was done on purpose or someone was clipping it. The coin seems to keep it's original weight I believe so maybe it was made this way.

I wasn't expecting to find one in Montreal as they are extremely rare in Quebec. It's almost like finding a gold coin. As I said I have found a dozen Spanish silver coins before this one. So anything is possible I guess.

Thanks again Ken.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread