Greenie
Dec 18, 2017
NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

This is what I found yesterday. Does anybody have an idea how much this is worth?
20180525_105953.jpg 20180525_105946.jpg

Upvote 17

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as NJ goes, a few years back the Corps of Engineers pumped sand from the ocean onto beaches south of Ocean City, NJ and north of Cape May. A lot of 8 reales were dredged up. They look really nice coming out of the ocean bottom. I know a few people who found some. I think the "finding" days are long over.

I don't know about THIS one, however.

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
The big silver coins are always attention getters. You will notice the two Chinese proof marks on the pillars one on each side. This coin was probably lost by a collector recently, or a planted coin from a club hunt. It is very unlikely the coin circulated in the Orient and then found it's way back to the beaches of New York.

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
You guys are quick ! I see the "chop marks" and "die break" have already been pointed out.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Jersey diggers did find some with chop marks on the beaches from the dredging, for what it's worth.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Jersey diggers did find some with chop marks on the beaches from the dredging, for what it's worth.

I'd have a better chance at hitting the moon with a ball bearing from a sling shot than to find 3 genuine 1794 Mexico city 8 reales with the same 2 chop marks in the exact the same places and the same exact 8R die breaks. Astronomical odds.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Beware of the fantasy issues with the chop marks on the pillars. I've seen these all over ebay. I'm not saying yours is, just passing on some info. Take a look a the chops and then look at these listings:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1794-SPAIN...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1794-SPAIN...855561?hash=item1ca5aff189:g:qHIAAOSwg3NanBuJ

There are other issues with the coin such as the matching die break "thingy" on "8R" but comparing yours with the 2 listings above really shows you all you need to know.

Definitely made from the same mold or Dies. Still could have been found on a beach since it may have been tossed once the previous person who had it, found out what it was. The O.P. might want to have the Gold coins he found checked out.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, haha I found it on a beach in NJ. I mean, I really like it Dirtwisher but I already found more gold coins than silver coins so I am just trying to figure out the value of this one. Thank you for the positive feedback!

Ha Ha. Ha Ha Ha.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IF you found it .....PRICELESS.

Finding so many β€œgold coins” and such I would have thought you would’ve had enough knowledge under your belt to know the worth of this measly 8 Reales was worth. #maybsuspect

Last edited:

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I am simply amazed by your finds
I’d really love to shake your hand.
You are the best hunter on TNET I
Would be happy to β€œ pay” for the coin
I will buy it and the gold coins too
I will pay above fair value for any coin you gave.
I am Also in NJ. I can meet you any time
You name your price I will bring the money.
I’m a known hunter herd and my name
Says I’m honest check me out then give me a price I will come today with the cash.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the 8! I tend to find a lot more copper coins than silver... pic of your gold coins would be awesome.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
he said beach ...so "pubic beaches" would be my guess

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!!! How in the hell did I miss this beautiful 8 Reales in incredible condition! Really love to see these gold coins as well. Must be quite a stack. Seeing people on here with such talent for finding amazing early stuff really causes me to pause and wonder what I’m doing wrong???? I really need to up my game on the research and get on some much better sites. Can’t wait to see the gold coins. Hoping they’re not these common 19th Century gold coins. Guessing they’re 18th Century Escudos or something killer like that. Post em up

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have a better chance at hitting the moon with a ball bearing from a sling shot than to find 3 genuine 1794 Mexico city 8 reales with the same 2 chop marks in the exact the same places and the same exact 8R die breaks. Astronomical odds.

That would be some sling shot my man. You think your odds would be better when it was a full moon???? [emoji12]

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, haha I found it on a beach in NJ. I mean, I really like it Dirtwisher but I already found more gold coins than silver coins so I am just trying to figure out the value of this one. Thank you for the positive feedback!

Why does one of my legs feel a lot longer than the other? :icon_scratch:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Is everyone except gwdigger, crabstang44 and myself being sarcastic or did no one else read gwdigger's post??:icon_scratch: Go back to page 2 and read as the post tells you what you need to know. Spanish pieces of Eight that were minted in Mexico City or anywhere else from the 1500's well into the 1800's were not struck with Dies that had Chopmarks on them. These were added by the Chinese when the coins circulated in and were used for money in China.

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is everyone except gwdigger, crabstang44 and myself being sarcastic or did no one else read gwdigger's post??:icon_scratch: Go back to page 2 and read as the post tells you what you need to know. Spanish pieces of Eight that were minted in Mexico City or anywhere else from the 1500's well into the 1800's were not struck with Dies that had Chopmarks on them. These were added by the Chinese when the coins circulated in and were used for money in China.

I am being VERY VERY VERY VERY sarcastic my friend. We have all been down this road enough times now that all I can do is smile and shake my head. GW has a serious nose for this stuff. But I really do want to see all of the gold coins....you?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread