mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hope this helps:

Aviso. A boat, usually small and most often a patache, which goes and comes from America with correspondence or despatches of the State or Government, sometimes to these countries and other times to a squadron or some division. "...By 1578, they were required to be no greater than 60 tons burden. They were supposedly instructed to only transport despatches and the necessary supplies for the troops, but many times they brought ... quicksilver, merchandise and provisions, destined to the ports of call...," (Cardona Bonet 1989:109).

Goldminer

Apr 28, 2006
Las Vegas, Nv
Smaller, lighter in weight because of limited armament, less draft, therefore most of the time out in front of the main body of the fleet. This is certainly the case with the 1733 fleet that sank from the area of lower Biscayne Bay southward pass Marathon, Fl. In 1964 we found the "El Aviso" well ahead of the fleet on a shallow reef with almost nothing left but scattered ballast.
Bill

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
gdaddyflex said:
Hope this helps:

Aviso. A boat, usually small and most often a patache, which goes and comes from America with correspondence or despatches of the State or Government, sometimes to these countries and other times to a squadron or some division. "...By 1578, they were required to be no greater than 60 tons burden. They were supposedly instructed to only transport despatches and the necessary supplies for the troops, but many times they brought ... quicksilver, merchandise and provisions, destined to the ports of call...," (Cardona Bonet 1989:109).

Seahunter:

I am really good friends with Walter Cardona Bonet.....He is in Spain right now but he will be back to Puerto Rico On Oct 3rd.... He is supposed to send me a copy of his book.....I talk to him everyday via e-mail.........I will find this info. for you .....

All the best,

Chagy.........

OP
OP
SEAHUNTER

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Chagy
Everyone has made a real good point of telling me there is no size for an Aviso vessel but I am trying to figure out the approximate size of the pile. I believe the pile is buried under sand and want to look for it with a sub bottom profiler. Having uncovered plenty of old reefs I am assuming that old reefs and ballast piles will look very much the same with a sub bottom profiler and am wanting to be able to narrow down the possible targets.
Seahunter

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In 1605 the Crown of Spaind gave the order to send a group of small and fast vessels to sail with the fleets to maintain communication these were called "Navios de Aviso" they were paid by la Real Hacienda and managed by La Casa de Contratacion........the crew was from 8 to 10 men....
Do A search "Florida Mystery Wreck" they believe its an Aviso Vessel wreck.....there you will find the measurement of the ballast pile and the answer to your question..

All the best,

Chagy.........

OP
OP
SEAHUNTER

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI CHAGY
GREAT ANSWER. EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR. YOU ARE A FOUNTAIN OF KNOWLEDGE.
THANKS AGAIN
HI CABLAVA
NO I DON'T HAVE A SUB BOTTOM PROFILER - YET. I INTEND TO GET ONE. PROBALY THIS MONTH. MOST LIKELY A STRATABOX.
WHY?
ANY SUGGESTIONS OR ADVICE?
KNOW WHERE I CAN RENT ONE?
SEAHUNTER

riobravo

Apr 2, 2006
south texas to the east coast
HI SEAHUNTER,
in reference to your multiple post for info, if your digging for more info on arcangel, rumour has it that Robert Stinway(not sure of spelling) did a very thorough bit of research for Herbo Humphreys years ago but wasn't paid in full and has not disclosed the balance of his research.
if you can contact him it may be worth you time, if that is the ship your researching.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
1660 A spanish adviceboat coming from South America for Spain was wrecked on the coast in a place called Jega ;D a vessel was send from St. Augustine to pick up the survivors and nothing was salvage from the ship.

Source: AGI Santo Domingo, 233
AGI(Archivo general de Indias)

I hope this helps,

Chagy.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread