Can you help me Identify this coin?
It weight 2.8 grams.

20190205_192808.jpg
20190205_192833.jpg

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lenin,
First off, thanks for posting. Next, what is the approximate century of other material coming from this area? Your cob which is indeed a little off in weight but then again it looks quite worn which may explain this...but as Mack says it is "light in weight"
Let's just say its worn...what I think you have is a Potosi 1 real (cob) and looks to me like assayer T over R which puts date about late 1630s to about 1648 (Practical Book of Cobs)
I will post a photo which resembles your find...compare and then you all can decide.
I will stick to my ID till other wise.
Trez Philip-Iv-1-Real-Cob-Potosi-Assayer-T-_57.jpg Philip-Iv-1-Real-Cob-Potosi-Assayer-T.jpg

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Trez, you are correct. I was going to comment earlier, but I didn't want to dig into my reference materials at the time. My first thought was Potosi with the T over R assayer. Still don't have my reference material to get an exact name, but from other examples that I've seen, this piece fits.

OP
OP
lenin

lenin

Nov 7, 2018
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find 66, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lenin,
First off, thanks for posting. Next, what is the approximate century of other material coming from this area? Your cob which is indeed a little off in weight but then again it looks quite worn which may explain this...but as Mack says it is "light in weight"
Let's just say its worn...what I think you have is a Potosi 1 real (cob) and looks to me like assayer T over R which puts date about late 1630s to about 1648 (Practical Book of Cobs)
I will post a photo which resembles your find...compare and then you all can decide.
I will stick to my ID till other wise.
Trez View attachment 1678133 View attachment 1678134

I have been very lucky finding this piece. Currently they are a little
hard to find here in Panama. The places where they are are very distant and difficult to access, mostly jungle. You have to walk long distances.
I found this particular piece near Camino Real to Portobelo.
Considering that all gold and silver from Peru and Bolivia passed through Panama,
to then be shipped to Spain, perhaps it was obvious that I would find a coin
of Potosi. I hope this is the first of many others.

Thanks for your help!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread