Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of my fields have been planted except for the one that Bill D and I have been a few times recently. Since most old plantations were self sustaining and had numerous house sites and ancillary buildings I decided to explore areas we haven't hit in the past. To do this, I like to walk the perimeter of the fields in all-metal mode until I start to hit an iron patch, which would indicate a building site, then I grid it off making sure to hit it from two different directions. I also go really slowwwww. Doing this yesterday, I was able to eek out some goodies including a cob, three more livery buttons exactly like the one I found a few weeks ago and a really cool silver plated nameplate thingy with the name of the plantation owner. I would love to know what this was for so if anyone knows, please chime in.

April132013001.jpg April132013004.jpg April132013005.jpg

April132013006.jpg April132013007.jpg April132013008.jpg

April132013009.jpg April132013003.jpg

Upvote 11

Hookka

Apr 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT GOLD, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Sandshark, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you had a great hunt, that nameplate is really cool.

tngirl

Mar 16, 2012
N. Middle Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x & 1280 Aquanaut, White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great hunt! I really like those buttons. Wish we had colonial sites like that here.

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tngirl said:
What a great hunt! I really like those buttons. Wish we had colonial sites like that here.

I don't know what I'd do without my colonial sites!!

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely amazing hunts. Love it!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know that was the owner for sure? If so, that is very interesting. Do you know what years he ran the place? Great cob too.

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
You know that was the owner for sure? If so, that is very interesting. Do you know what years he ran the place? Great cob too.

He was definitely the owner. He was a Torrey and one of richest men in Virginia leading up to the revolution. He gave George Washington his first military commission. Of course he had sons so that piece could have belonged to one of them. The Corbins owned the place from the late 1600s to the early 1800s.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was definitely the owner. He was a Torrey and one of richest men in Virginia leading up to the revolution. He gave George Washington his first military commission. Of course he had sons so that piece could have belonged to one of them. The Corbins owned the place from the late 1600s to the early 1800s.

Not sure what it is, but it looks to have a CW era look to me. It's pretty seldom we find stuff with a name, and so much better when you can make the connection. Once you ID the time frame of the relic, you can get a sense of what was going on at the time around there.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what it is, but it looks to have a CW era look to me. It's pretty seldom we find stuff with a name, and so much better when you can make the connection. Once you ID the time frame of the relic, you can get a sense of what was going on at the time around there.

I think you'll probably be able to figure out who the "M" stands for.

Hey, check this out. I'm not sure if you have looked into those Livery buttons, but it's pretty obvious they are from the family. Not a shocker, but makes them much more interesting than a typical livery.

http://www.houseofnames.com/corbin-family-crest

Attachments

• 2afff.jpg
    2afff.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:

I thought it was "m" at first too but it's actually Mr. The Corbin's were well gone out of the area by the Civil War. They sold the property in 1827 so it's at least as old as that.

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:

Hey, check this out. I'm not sure if you have looked into those Livery buttons, but it's pretty obvious they are from the family.
I figured that but thanks for confirming it!!! That's really awesome to be able to place the family with multiple relics.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey, check this out. I'm not sure if you have looked into those Livery buttons, but it's pretty obvious they are from the family. Not a shocker, but makes them much more interesting than a typical livery.

Corbin Family Crest and History
Nice work IP.:occasion14: And nice finds joeyfresh. Very cool that you were able to recover artifacts related to the land owner!:hello2:

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool finds.really like those buttons and name plate.congrats on the cob.thanks for sharing

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That was a great hunt Joey! I had no idea we had left that many finds in that field. Glad you were able to make those recoveries. Guess you need to keep going back until planting to get what you can.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That was a great hunt Joey! I had no idea we had left that many finds in that field. Glad you were able to make those recoveries. Guess you need to keep going back until planting to get what you can.

Oh, and congrats on another colonial silver. You've been a cob finding machine since I met you a little over a year ago. And I love those Corbin-related items!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joey, nice group of finds there. Cobs are always welcome, but those three livery buttons with the family's crest are really cool. Then there is the name tag, personalized relics like that are really special. The name tag reminds me of one I found recently. Mine is also a silver skin over a brass body. Different shape than yours, but similar engraving. Mine came from a site that appears to be 1790 to about 1840.

Attachments

• Diamond ID piece.jpg
    Diamond ID piece.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve in PA said:
Joey, nice group of finds there. Cobs are always welcome, but those three livery buttons with the family's crest are really cool. Then there is the name tag, personalized relics like that are really special. The name tag reminds me of one I found recently. Mine is also a silver skin over a brass body. Different shape than yours, but similar engraving. Mine came from a site that appears to be 1790 to about 1840.

Thanks Steve. Were you able to place your tag with anybody from ur sites history?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread