Spanish Cross?

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
JB,
I cannot say much about the cross right now. I will look in a few books tonight. Definately looks spanish. What wreck site were you working? Were you near the dunes or near the water?

Robert in SC

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JB

Greenie
Sep 20, 2004
Hi Robert. Thank you for looking for me in your books if you get the chance. I found this piece half way to the dunes yet not quite in the black sand. 2 days it took me to find anything and miles of walking. I used an Exployer and had it set to 'Deep' which would pick up thin items such as this. Matter of fact I got a false reading after the initial reading and i moved on and something told me to go back and check it again. Finally the signal came back as a very faint one and I started digging and I must of moved some sand around it so it picked up a stronger signal once it was laying on its frontside. I am afraid I was a week late, as the beach looked like a mine field with all the holes from everyone digging. I just don't know where to start as to finding out more about its worth. I heard the State owns everything when you find it on their beaches. Not sure. Others say no, afraid to take it to McCarthys Museaum because of that. What do you hear?

Upvote 0

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
No the state doesn't own it on the beach, in the water yes! Not on the beach. Take it over to McClarty's and see what they say. They like to see peoples finds. I am not sure if the Fisher Museum would do anything or not, but it couldn't hurt. Do everything you can to find info on it. You have to establish it as a 1715 or other period artifact to gain any value.

What wreck were you working? Did I see you said you saw or heard of some gold coins being found?

Robert in SC

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JB

Greenie
Sep 20, 2004
worked just south of Wabasso at the Park, behind the contruction site. I thought you were the one that was hunting for TJ

Upvote 0

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
No, that wasn't me.
I was down there Thursday and Friday (9th and 10th) after Frances came through. So you were working Corrigans. I worked the beach near the dunes for 2 days. Saw some 8 reales pulled out, but no gold. When I was there the beach had a big hump between the dune line and the water. The water was coming over the hump and washing out on the backside. I think all the good stuff got washed out with this soft layer of sand and was just too deep when I was down there. How are things looking now? Is this the area people are starting to work more.

Robert

Upvote 0

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Ok! Do you want the short version or the long version!

It is a Celtic cross! The design carved in the cross in known as "Knotwork" and was unique to different areas of the Celts. The celtic cross dates back to 2500 B.C. and the religion was slowly removed from European contries. However, the modified cross was adapted by Christian religions (can be seen in many Catholic influences) and would not have been uncommon to Spain (especially since there were some Celtic origins in Spain).

I would take it to someone who could date it better. It could be from an earlier period as well, but it could aslo be recent!

Its definately a good find.

Take it over to the fisher museum and see what they say. Don't be scared to talk to someone about it. Beach finds are all yours!

Good Luck,

Robert in SC

Upvote 0
T

treaser hunta

There was a cross similar to that one that was found on the Spanish ship the Girona! :o

Upvote 0

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
RGecy said:
It is a Celtic cross! The design carved in the cross in known as "Knotwork" and was unique to different areas of the Celts. The celtic cross dates back to 2500 B.C. and the religion was slowly removed from European contries. However, the modified cross was adapted by Christian religions (can be seen in many Catholic influences) and would not have been uncommon to Spain (especially since there were some Celtic origins in Spain).

Just curious, but how can a Celtic cross date to 2500 BC, which would pre-date the Roman empire and presumably crucifixion?

Upvote 0

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
MiddenMonster,
MiddenMonster said:
RGecy said:

Just curious, but how can a Celtic cross date to 2500 BC, which would pre-date the Roman empire and presumably crucifixion?

It did not have any significance to the Crucifiction of Jesus Crist.? It was adopted later by the churches.

Do a search on the Internet and you will find some interesting reading on the Celtic Cross!

Robert in SC

Upvote 0

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you will know, this design has been around a long time, and is still in use today.
The cross actually looks like silver after its been in salt water for a long time.
Just because it is a "Celtic Cross" by design does not mean that its old or came from the fleet wrecks, but it might have.
I've dug similar cross's on tourist beaches and know they are regular jewelry losses and not old.
The people at Mccartys Museom were real nice to me and my wife last year when we were there.
the Mel Fisher museum was closed due to storm damege.
Hope this helps.
Richard

Upvote 0

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
RGecy said:
It did not have any significance to the Crucifiction of Jesus Crist. It was adopted later by the churches.

Do a search on the Internet and you will find some interesting reading on the Celtic Cross!

I've seen plenty of Celtic Crosses, but the older ones are formed closer to this shape:

celtic%20cross%20of%20peace%20&%20prayer.JPG
with the intersection at the half-way points, rather than the taller Celtic Crosses that are Christian based, and intersect about 1/3 from the top of the vertical axis. Are you saying that the Celtic Cross as pictured at the top of this thread is a design that dates to 2500BC? 2500BC is 4500 years ago.

Upvote 0

Jimi D Pirate

Oct 28, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000 + AQUA PULSE
Found this week? Funny that the exact same picture of this cross appeared on Weller's 1715fleet.com site several months back! Is it just me or do I just have a hook in me eye?

Upvote 0

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
MiddenMonster said:
Are you saying that the Celtic Cross as pictured at the top of this thread is a design that dates to 2500BC? 2500BC is 4500 years ago.

MiddenMonster,
To your question, NO I am not.? Just the opposite!? The older crosses (2500BC)were symetrical or equal like the one you have shown.? The Celtic Cross that has the crucifix shape was adopted after the Crucifiction or Death of Jesus.? And probably not until sometime later 500-600AD.? I am sure both versions can be found from that period on.? (True Celtic Crosses like yours and the modified version adopted by Christians)

I am not an expert, just relaying info I have read on the Internet.

Robert in SC

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread