Spanish cut silver gift from unlikely source!!!

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey t-net buddies! Decided to go on a little road trip to Fowler's Bluff. Please take time out to read any sources about the history and mystery entwined with this place. Not many know that this was a home to Jimmy Buffett. A small coincidence compared to what the privateer Jean LaFitte did there in 1818. It could motivate a person to go treasure hunting. I just went there to see if, by chance, I might be able to hunt some, or at least one property there since pirate buddies of LaFitte were there before and after him, and non pirates afterwards. Well, no such luck......but, an old, white-haired guy ease dropped on my conversation and said if I helped him out he would reward me with something he guaranteed I would like. I just had to take him on a 15 mile round trip to the store. I wished I could say I found the 1818 cut silver in the pic, but that was what he paid me with. Significant is the date of it because of WHEN I mentioned LaFitte buried his loot there. He told me his father found it near the river bank there as he was digging night crawlers for fishing. The year he found it? 1918! I hesitated to accept at first, but he said he had give the rest of his stash to his grand kids and saw my tags on my car which told him I'm in the Army. He said even if I couldn't take him to the store he would of given it to me for serving my country anyway. What an awesome gesture! Enjoy the pics! By the way....the seated dime with no stars is just for size comparison. I didn't find that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 153
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Upvote 11

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, but I'm very confused, 1918? Or 1818?

Thank you for serving our country!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story, thanks for sharing. Now you too have a great piece to pass on to your grandkids. Another thanks here for your service to our country.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats why there are photos.

Sorry it was a pre coffee moment, senior moment.
No harm meant, just a little confusion on my part.
Sometimes on my phone I cant see the pix as good as when I'm on my PC.
But I'm so glad that you pointed out the photos to me BB

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing the interesting story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread