Spanish or Native American turtle?

TurtleGirl

Feb 22, 2017
Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This boulder is about 400-500 pounds with the top portion carved into a turtle. It sits at the base of a large marker type oak tree, with part of the trunk grown over the rock. There are other rock formations and rock carvings in the area that resemble turtles and owls, plus arrows and small drill holes.
Those are the best shots I have of the turtle rock at this time. I took them about two weeks ago just before I had back surgery. Omg! The pain!
I will get better pics after my recovery has moved along a bit more.

Attachments

• 20170210_110218.jpg
    20170210_110218.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 146
  • 20170210_111800.jpg
    20170210_111800.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 140
  • 20170210_110205.jpg
    20170210_110205.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 139

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Hello TurtleGirl, my Best guess would be The Signs on the Boulder is that its a corner marker, should and very likely shows the 90 / 180 / 270 360 degrees, walk in any 4 degrees exact for 190 feet measured and see if there is a knee high boulder with a carving or feature that shows two direction its a Settlers Square League. The Spanish used the same method that we do except we use 1 square mile = 1 section they used 2.5 mile ( league ) as a section. So many folks don't use that method and miss getting stuff figured out, if the brush is not bad you can see 190 feet. there will be lots of interesting things to look at each corner including a set of initals that identifies its #, we use 36 as the # they used the alphabet 26 # ( Turtles move slow )

OP
OP
T

TurtleGirl

Feb 22, 2017
Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, dsty. I've been wandering around the farm following signs since I started with the turtle. I didn't know what the signs meant, I just took a pic and walked on til I came to another and so forth. Now I'm down to three locations. I'm currently digging at a large four trunk tree with a heart shaped rock. This spot appears more outlaw or KGC, rather than Spanish like the others appear to be.

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
I do believe you are spot on , Spanish did not in my estimation mark trees, I will say that Gail have a bunch of aspen trees in Utah that was marked, The Outlaws marked some, they would stand up in the saddle, cut a limb off and possibly leave a short stub showing the direction, don't really know how they figured the distance tho. My thought is to settle on one type and study that until you get a hang of it. LOTS are when they found a dependable rock source they would carve what they wanted and transport to the desired location, that's why the extra carved stones ( boulders ) are around, they had stone masons and transporters, Surveyors, folks that done the distance thing and they were ALL pro's They used so many different types and they knew how to Read Sign, outlaws ,kgc copied some but you can tell the difference.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread