Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went back to the half dime field thinking the recent rains might help with conductivity and the digging.
Had some really good finds at this site in the past, but lately we havent been finding much.
Decided to go really slow and work the iron patch, and dig lots of iffy signals in the same area that we have dug many 1830-1850 US half dimes.

Fortunately one of those iffy signals turned out to be a spanish silver half real that i think was sitting on edge.
The coin was pressed into the sidewall of the hole, and there were also lots of nails in this hole, which could be why this coin was missed, as i know we have been over that spot many times.

Unfortunately the coin was very worn, completely black, had a pie slice gash in it, a tiny hole that looks like someone tried to poke a nail through it, and it appears i scratched the front of it when i was digging the plug.
The coin is slightly smaller than a US dime, so im assuming its a half real. It looks like the date is 180_, and i think that would make it a Carolus IIII.
This is the second spanish half real dug from this site, and both were almost completely worn slick.

The site was a homestead where a Spanish family moved to this area from Cat Island, MS. around the year 1840.
The family Patriarch was a baker and a sailor. The site also has deep anchorage. Supposedly Mr. B_ _ _ _ _ also raised goats, and would trade with other sailors that came to port in his tiny harbor.

My guess is this coin was probably still in circulation around 1840-1850 when lost.
First 2 pics will be the coin uncleaned. I also added a pic of the iron/junk, and a pic of a tiny brass square nail, a couple pieces of semi-interesting lead and 2 whatsits id love some help with.

Attachments

• P3130001.JPG
    P3130001.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 140
  • P3130002.JPG
    P3130002.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 135
  • P3130003.JPG
    P3130003.JPG
    245 KB · Views: 137
  • P3130004.JPG
    P3130004.JPG
    456.5 KB · Views: 124
  • P3130005.JPG
    P3130005.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 133
  • P3130010.JPG
    P3130010.JPG
    380.1 KB · Views: 136
  • P3130011.JPG
    P3130011.JPG
    327.7 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Upvote 20

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good find. Well worn yeah, so she has lots of history/story to tell.
My ground still hard so any silver would be real nice, now, or in a week or so.

PS, on another note, could you tell me how you do the multiple quote in one reply, it's something I never learned to do.
Thanks rick. It never snows here, and the ground never freezes.

The multiple quotes are done by alot of copy/pasting.
I click on reply with quote and respond, and then i select/highlight text and COPY.
Then i use the back arrow once and go to the next response and click reply with quote.
Then you PASTE above the newest quote.
You just keep doing this over and over again til you are finished and click send.
Each time you COPY, you will be copying everything, and your paste will get longer and longer.
Maybe there is an easier way, but its not hard once youve done it a couple times.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mr. Picker,
and I really appreciate your explanation,
but at the sound of all that, I guess I'll just reply "with quote" one at a time.

Good luck out there.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks rick. It never snows here, and the ground never freezes.

The multiple quotes are done by alot of copy/pasting.
I click on reply with quote and respond, and then i select/highlight text and COPY.
Then i use the back arrow once and go to the next response and click reply with quote.
Then you PASTE above the newest quote.
You just keep doing this over and over again til you are finished and click send.
Each time you COPY, you will be copying everything, and your paste will get longer and longer.
Maybe there is an easier way, but its not hard once youve done it a couple times.

Thanks Mr. Picker,
and I really appreciate your explanation,
but at the sound of all that, I guess I'll just reply "with quote" one at a time.

Good luck out there.

First off, congrats...and wow at the fact that this is the 8th half denomination from that site. That's awesome!

Secondly, you don't have to copy and paste to respond to multiple posts. Just click on the stand alone quotation mark button on the far right bottom of the post's frame. It should highlight and have a check mark. Do that to every quote you want to respond to, and then at the final one you wish to select click on the "reply with quote" button. All the quotes you've checked will appear, and you can insert your responses as you wish.

Now, if there's something easier than that, I'm sure someone will pipe in! ��

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First off, congrats...and wow at the fact that this is the 8th half denomination from that site. That's awesome!

Secondly, you don't have to copy and paste to respond to multiple posts. Just click on the stand alone quotation mark button on the far right bottom of the post's frame. It should highlight and have a check mark. Do that to every quote you want to respond to, and then at the final one you wish to select click on the "reply with quote" button. All the quotes you've checked will appear, and you can insert your responses as you wish.

Now, if there's something easier than that, I'm sure someone will pipe in! ��
Thanks for the tip Z.K.
Between me and my buddy weve dug 6 pre 1860 US half dimes and 2 half reals from this site over probably 10 or more hunts in this field.
The last few hunts there we got skunked, but the first few were unforgettable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread