Spanish Silver in Michigan?

Clad 2 meet u

May 7, 2007
Algonac Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro (land) CZ20 (water)
Digging in local parks, you never know what you'll find! :-? My second hole I dug next to a barbecue I unearthed a coin that I've never seen the likes of. I knew with the writing it was Spanish so I got one the horn with a buddy of mine to see if he could I.D. it. Sure as all get out it was a Spanish milled silver!!! I did some further research when I got home and this is what I came up with.

Obverse: CAROLUS · IIII · DEI · GRATIA · 1801 - 1803 ·
Reverse: · HISPAN · ET IND · REX · Mo ·1 R · F · T ·

Weight: 48.3 g (3.13 grams) Diameter: 21.6 mm

This is a "portrait" or "modified pillar" design. In the reverse legend, the Mo is the mintmark for Mexico City. This is followed by '1R' which indicates the denomination of one real. The F and the T are the initials of the assayers, Francisco Arance y Cobos and Tomás Butrón y Miranda who worked together from 1801-1803.

6-18-09AlgonacStatePark.jpg

Not to bad for a coin that's been in the ground for many a moon.

Upvote 0
Congrats, too bad the dates gone of it. Nice coin though. And a suprise I am sure. hope you can find some more.

Mainer

AWESOME find my friend. I found an 1803 1R, just like yours 4 years ago. 1803. :headbang:

very cool. congrats! i love it when when an unexpected coin pops up out of the ground.
neat avatar as well. is that real? did you find it? dwayne

Not many found in Michigan, I have only heard of a few. I was fortunate enough to find one this spring (1785 1/2 Reale). Did you say State Park? I didn't think they allowed detecting on any state property, maybe I am wrong. Nonetheless, great find...congrats!

Wow, that is a beautiful old coin! And to have found it in a park is amazing. Way to go!!

I am interested to know where you found the detailed information. I have found a few spanish silver as well, and would love to know more about them.

Thank you,
Anthony

Hey

Awesome find! You dfound more spanish silver than me and I am in florida..lol

Its not surprising being that the reale was the accepted currency for America a long time ago, until we began minting our own coins.

Larry

Holy C...you give me hope! Thats nice. I would imagine anywhere along the St Clair river would be the best place to find the real old stuff since that was the highway of the time. I want one. Ever hunt around Port Huron? Theres gotta be some old stuff around there.

Regarding hunting state parks, they all have their own rules. Some you cant (like historic places, Mackinaw for instance). A lot allow in certain areas like the picnic areas and beaches.

:o Wow, amazing! :thumbsup: And it is in relatively nice shape.

Keep digging!

Thanks folks... A find of a lifetime for me! I'm hunting a park that allows detecting in certain areas. It could have been brought in as fill dirt. I've dug screw caps as far down as 12" and the real was at 6" but it was masked by a bunch of iron. I was able to sweep super slow and got an iffy signal and decided to dig it. From now on I'm digging all iffy signals, who knows what I've missed.

One reale, carlos the forth; 1789-1808. way to go! Kane 23

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back