Aug 25, 2019
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, upload not working in Android.
Looks like:

S
V

Except the S touches the left line of the V.

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unfortunately, without pics there's no way for us to know what you're actually looking at? :dontknow:

Dave

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never know If I made a treasure marker I wouldnt want just anyone who strolls along to be able to ID it as a treasure marker. post some pics

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tsicby

Greenie
Aug 25, 2019
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never know If I made a treasure marker I wouldnt want just anyone who strolls along to be able to ID it as a treasure marker. post some pics

Definitely not along a path that someone would be strolling down. You would have to be out hiking "cross country" if you know what I mean.

20190825_103531 (002).jpg

Upvote 0

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Doesn't look super old to me, because I don't see hardly any weeds growing between the rocks, but it would be worth taking a detector and looking around it all. I would also just look in a straight line from the tip too.

Upvote 0

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sure looks like the rocks were placed into position by humans.

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
isn't there a gang that marks territory in mexico like this? or something similar. i remember reading about them, vicious gang. They basically mark the town by putting letters(can't remember if it is "sv" or not) in rocks on the hill above it, and rule town with violent tendencies. not sure if its related but sure made me think of it.

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found what I was talking about and don't think that it is related. The gang marks with a z in the hill above a town, the zetas is the gang name. Another thought I had was I have seen similar things in montana, I assumed they were to help pilots of small planes navigate.

Upvote 0

Gambrinus

Dec 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking like Tpmetal is there a sizable town in that direction that starts with an S? It may be a navigation aid for pilots dating back to the 1930s.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tsicby

Greenie
Aug 25, 2019
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking like Tpmetal is there a sizable town in that direction that starts with an S? It may be a navigation aid for pilots dating back to the 1930s.

That was one of my first thoughts, however it's only about 4 to 5 feet across at the most and surrounded by scrub so I can't imagine that a pilot would be able to spot it from the air. The interesting thing is there is a small cairn nearby as well. I didn't spot it until after I found this formation by accident, but the placement of the cairn leads me to believe that it's a marker of where to climb to get to the formation.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tsicby

Greenie
Aug 25, 2019
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found what I was talking about and don't think that it is related. The gang marks with a z in the hill above a town, the zetas is the gang name. Another thought I had was I have seen similar things in montana, I assumed they were to help pilots of small planes navigate.

Also thought of that, but as a I posted above it's only about 4' wide, maybe 5' at the most, and with all the scrub around it's really not visible to aircraft. A small cairn nearby seems to be there to show you where to climb to get to it as well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tsicby

Greenie
Aug 25, 2019
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't look super old to me, because I don't see hardly any weeds growing between the rocks, but it would be worth taking a detector and looking around it all. I would also just look in a straight line from the tip too.

The soil is mostly calcium carbonate and what you see in the pic is all you see around for miles. In other words, the soil/rainfall combination does not allow for any meaningful growth besides the scrub and trees that grow deeper roots closer to the water table. The growth in the pic is not short because it was mowed, it just seems like it probably dies very quickly after the spring rains because of the subsequent heat and lack of rainfall in the summer. So it's hard to tell how long it's been out there.

If I make it back out there, I will definitely do some detecting.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread