ckpage86

Jan 7, 2017
Tucson, AZ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, today I found my first sterling at the local Goodwill. I never thought to look for these things until I joined this forum. Anyway, I found this awesome looking Spaulding & Co Zodiac plate. It has zodiac symbols all around the rim. I did a little bit of Googling, and found Spaulding & Co was out of Chicago in the late 1800s, and also operated in France, so I am guessing this plate might have some years on it.

I weighed it when I got home and it came in at 6.2oz, or 5.65 troy oz. I figure for $1.99 I did good? Anyone ever seen one of these? It is a pretty neat piece.

IMG_0919.JPG
IMG_0920.JPG
IMG_0923.JPG

OP
OP
ckpage86

ckpage86

Jan 7, 2017
Tucson, AZ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the link! That definitely helps. I wasn't sure what those symbols meant on the back side. I ended up searching for Gorham Zodiac and I get a lot of hits on the ole inter webs. Thanks again.

OP
OP
ckpage86

ckpage86

Jan 7, 2017
Tucson, AZ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update: The plate is from 1908. I finally found the hallmark in the list. That's an old plate. Thanks again for the link L&F!

wavecrazed

Jul 21, 2009
Orlando FLorida
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Excallibur 1000, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Rembert finding a sterling bowl at garage sale. Paid 10 for it. It was worth 145 in melt value!

OP
OP
ckpage86

ckpage86

Jan 7, 2017
Tucson, AZ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I Rembert finding a sterling bowl at garage sale. Paid 10 for it. It was worth 145 in melt value!

My wife was like "Why are you buying a plate? ???" I said, "This is sterling, most likely worth wayyyyy more than $1.99 :dontknow:"

Looks to be about $90 in melt value. Bada bing.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score! Keep going back to that Goodwill because clearly they're not checking for Sterling marks

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Polish it up! (safely) and maybe display it instead of selling (if you were planning on selling)? Looks like a great piece! I personally hate to scrap anything that I feel is better than scrap. Unless it's damaged and in really bad shape! All those animals on the side is awesome.... such good craftsmanship for being so old wow. Plus I'm a sucker for anything with animals lol, Don't scrap!

OP
OP
ckpage86

ckpage86

Jan 7, 2017
Tucson, AZ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Polish it up! (safely) and maybe display it instead of selling (if you were planning on selling)? Looks like a great piece! I personally hate to scrap anything that I feel is better than scrap. Unless it's damaged and in really bad shape! All those animals on the side is awesome.... such good craftsmanship for being so old wow. Plus I'm a sucker for anything with animals lol, Don't scrap!

I don't really have plans for it. Just figured it was a safe buy for the price. I have it stashed away in a box in my closet right now. Perhaps I will clean it up, and use it to hold my guitar picks? It looks nice on my desk. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions