speaking of permits / claims

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Russ I guess who is/are issuing the permits and where it is as to the local regs. S &G should have Army Corp permit and they do take into consideration the cumulative affect that might arise but that isn't an instant deal breaker

ratled

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure about the claim part....You could always be a nice guy and offer to clean their sand and gravel for them. Pimp the higher resale value of clean sand and gravel too them! Eco friendly clean sand and gravel with no nasty things in it like lead, mercury , etc!

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Guess it is all a matter of Word Meanings. I believe sand/gravel claims may exist as "salable" or "leasable's" similar to limestone and marble claims or precious stones. That said an extraction permit may be applicable to the "extraction of such". Such extraction would likely be a "special use" on public lands. However I believe "permits" are issued for such saleable's/leasable's. I have gotten USFS permits for quarry rock/firewood/greenery. I was told by the USFS that that nothing can be removed from the USFS administered public lands without paying for a permit....but locatable minerals are exempt on public lands open to mineral entry....as locatables fall under the Federal Mining Laws and is not a special use.

Locatable minerals are a different critter and I believe it may be possible to own the locatable mineral rights while others have claims for saleable or leasable extraction. That is my best opinion and I hope someone can be more specific.

Bejay

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
might be something in here; eCFR ? 43 part 3740-MULTIPLE MINERAL DEVELOPMENT
seems like if its a current lease you would have to have permission
from the lease holder to go on the property weather its gated or not to locate said minerals.

be great for you to have them scrape off the overburden then you come in and clean up...

Last edited:

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A sand and gravel operation can keep and sale any gold they recover, but a gold claim cannot salethe sand and gravel

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I knew of a gravel pit on the Arkansas River here in Colorado. They had a huge twin centrifugal machine they ran the sand through. I managed to get a 7-11 big gulp cup sample. Cleaned up to a couple grams. Was the really fine gold. Place is closed now and is flooded to a big pond. Favorite hangout for ducks and geese now.

OP
OP
R

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I had permission from a business land owners office. they said go ahead on one of the sand bars ,BUT I want to put one of my dredges in to try it out and see if I can capture some fine gold. A friend of mine helped install a coffer dam ,and when they got all / most of the water pumped out he got in there with a 5 gallon bucket and did some "prospecting " of his own. When he got home and panned it out his eyes lite up and he got all /every 5 gallon bucket and container he could find and went in early to work to "obtain" some more of the material. BUT the company had already started filling it in with concrete. The moral of the story is : The early bird gets the worm! All I got was the story!:BangHead:

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's in Missouri, you're likely SOL. Can't place claims east of Colorado. Having permission was good, but with them making a pond.... Maybe work a deal to test other areas for a percentage.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If they are producing sand for concrete, they will always spit out the heavy stuff to avoid iron staining so see if you can buy some of that heavy stuff.

OP
OP
R

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
If it's in Missouri, you're likely SOL. Can't place claims east of Colorado. Having permission was good, but with them making a pond.... Maybe work a deal to test other areas for a percentage.

Mike you missed what I was saying. what pond are you talking about? check out sand and gravel permits.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bad. Assumed they were filling it with concrete to make like a holding pond or something. In the original post you wanted to possibly get a permit/claim for Precious metals on already leased/permitted area. I don't think that is possible, but you may be able to work with the lease/permit holder for permission.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread