Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find!
I don't no your area real well..
I'm sure someone who does will chime in.
If I were to guess I would probably call that a Snook hill...or a Stark point with a broken stem.

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not familiar with any of it I'm into colonial relics and this was found in a drained lake bed next near a cellar I'm sure there not related. Thanks for the info this is really interesting.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure.. definitely not related.
That point is somewhere between 7,000 and 3,200 years old.. give or take.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Relicdude - I'm not a CT artifact expert but I'd guess that it's a knife and not a spear, based on its size. Could be either, but I'm leaning knife. As far as age, Gator is probably right in my opinion. Its probably an archaic knife from the timeframe he lists.

I don't know if you collect precontact artifacts but that's a pretty nice find - everyone here would be proud to have found it. With artifacts like this where there's one there's usually more. Head back and find the rest!

Nice work.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find and I'll say knife. I've thought about this and what really would be the purpose and practicality of a stone 'spear point'? Possibly for lances in combat or buffalo hunting, or just to look impressive when you took the field against your opponents. Used as a spear, points this long would pretty much be a one time use thing, as due to their form they would probably shatter a lot on impact. I just don't think there was a lot of spear use goin on until the Spanish entradas. The Kiowa and Commanche had a big time fightin with the Spanish Lancers. The Lancers used metal tipped lances or spears, and the Southern Plains tribes took an immediate liking to them. They captured some and copied them for their own use. Just something to speculate about.

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm this is very interesting this is first artifact I have ever found I was found in lake bed that's drained every year to regulate the flow of the Farmington river. Due to the great flood of 55 we had in the region so the river was damed Thank you for all the information

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the knifes I find in my area are noted to be just that by the little notch that is on the left side of your artifact. They look like points but are knifes. I will try and post an example for you. Its the white one.

Attachments

• 100_3158.JPG
    100_3158.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 102

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would call it a knife because it is dull and worn uneven. The broken base only adds to authenticate this artifact. Nice save!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread