Spectacular hunt today - Two colonial coppers

NJ Garrett

Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a glorious day outside, and my son is in Florida on spring break, so I took advantage of the free time to go out on a hunt. It was so nice to get outside and search for treasure after such a brutal winter.

This property dates back to the 1700's, and even after searching it for a couple years now, I still find goodies. Today was no different. I found a really cool keyhole plate and a ginormous belt buckle...fully intact with a little latch perpendicular to the belt loop tongue. If anyone can date it, let me know.

Below the belt buckle is what looks to be a small metal arrowhead. This was ringing up 12:30 on my CTX. It could just be scrap metal that coincidentally looks like an arrowhead, but I've convinced myself that it's ancient. lol.

To the left of the belt buckle is the densest piece of metal that I've ever found. It was quite deep. Looks like a bar (0.4 cm x 1.4 cm x 6.3 cm). Weighs 46 g. That comes to a whopping 13 g/cm^3 (give or take). If anyone has any idea what this could be please let me know.

Also found a massive square nail. It's about 5 cm x 1 cm^2.

I found a handful of pennies, two moderns. 4 wheaties (44, 45, 49, and 14 <-- wow). Also found 2 clad quarters. I was hopeful that they were silver when the CTX rang up, but no such luck.

Fortunate to find 2 mercury dimes (36 and 39). Not a bad haul.

Then there were the coppers. The very first signal that I found was a deep 12:42. I dug down and thought it was a quarter. Immediately upon getting it out of the hole, I knew that it wasn't. After rinsing it off at home, I'm pretty sure that this is a George II halfpenny. It's 29 cm diameter, and you can see the faint image on the front and back (right hand coin) as it compares to the picture here: http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/pics/g2/ha/ha39.jpg. I would love your input on this to confirm my guess. At the bottom of the picture, you can also see a 1700 date. I can't make out the rest, but I really want to know the date. If anyone has suggestions for methods that I can use, please let me know. There is some significant crust on it, and I've done nothing but rinse it with warm water.

Then, just before I left, I found yet another copper! Same diameter as the first one, but this one is even more worn (on the left hand side). I was able to make out some lettering, but haven't been able to find an image yet like the first one. Anyone see anything? This one might be a little thicker than the first copper, so it may not be a half penny. I just have no idea. I know that you guys are good. :)

All in all, it was a great day. I can't wait to see everyone's input on the coppers. These are likely the oldest coins I've ever found (previous was 1770 spanish half reale).

Kevin
20150329_205915.jpg 20150329_210006.jpg 20150329_210054.jpg 20150329_210221.jpg

Upvote 4

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great day! Nice variety of finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread