Specturm XLT dunked in water

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I have heard that when this happens with a cellphone they can often be saved by putting it in a bag of uncooked rice for a couple days. The rice draws out the moisture. Might be worth a try. Salt water ? You're probably screwed.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was it salt or fresh water? Salt is BAD, fresh is not as bad..
Personally I would disassemble it, wash everything with CRC Electronic cleaner (made to clean electronics you can buy at automotive stores) I would then use compressed air to dry it out after the solvent wash and then place the components in a very warm dry environment like on top of my house heater. Just remember the solvent is flammable so be careful and ventilate the room where you are spraying it. But that just me.. I was an auto tech so I take stuff apart without fear. Other wise box it up and let the service center clean repair it as soon as possible.
If it was fresh water, the other option is to just set it next to the heater or in front of a heat vent for a few day and cross your fingers.

OP
OP
B

bronco

Mar 2, 2008
Thanks Ya'll.
I caled a white service center. They pretty much said the same. Sounds like they CAN repair and replace parts for that one in some cases. That was encouraging

Don Griffith

May 2, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT, Vibra Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably shorted the battery, at best... Good luck with it.
Don

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the others said, if salt water you are probably screwed. What works even better than rice to dry out electronics is silica gel. You know, the stuff in those little packets. You can buy it at craft stores in big bags. People use it for drying flowers. Each bead will absorb 10x it's weight in moisture and you can dry it out for re-use.

sturrat

Mar 30, 2012
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dropped my Minelab SE Pro in the water. Took it apart and dried it over a heat vent and it fired right up!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread