Speed Hunting

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The plan was this....extend the detector shaft, start at mid-beach, hunt as fast as possible for one mile, then turn around and do the same thing all the way back to where I started. The idea was to cover as much mid-beach as possible before the tide rolled back in.
12 quarters
8 dimes
3 nickels
14 pennies
4 fishing weights
6 pull tabs
1- 5.5 gram white gold band
.....and a handful of assorted junk.

I also killed my knees, hips, ankles, and thighs, so I'll be staying home today. :laughing7:

Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got gold, so it sounds like your plan worked. Now you can rest with a smile on your face.

Captain PopTop

May 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Garret. AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im in the same boat one day huntin 2 to 3 days recoverying

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wanted to try it once, and since I couldn't get in the water because it was too rough I went ahead and gave it a shot. Thing is, I was really moving fast and swinging pretty briskly, not worrying about missing ground or possibly some faint targets. I was just speed strolling/trolling, I guess you could say. I thought I was in pretty good shape until this morning, sore and stiff everywhere. But, it was very enjoyable, nice night no intense hunting.
aaa1.jpg

JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
PRL-1 Whites, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An nice nice, I'll do the same when I'm in a rush and know I've only got an hour to spare.
Where do you hunt?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An nice nice, I'll do the same when I'm in a rush and know I've only got an hour to spare.
Where do you hunt?

Florida East Coast. I was really just wanting to get a better fix on the wet sand conditions. Most of the targets were pretty deep. I only hit one area where there seemed to be a fair amount of shallower targets. Might go back there tonight to hunt it a bit better if the weather breaks. Been pouring here all day. :dontknow:

Last edited:

JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
PRL-1 Whites, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Florida East Coast. I was really just wanting to get a better fix on the wet sand conditions. Most of the targets were pretty deep. I only hit one area where there seemed to be a fair amount of shallower targets. Might go back there tonight to hunt it a bit better if the weather breaks. Been pouring here all day. :dontknow:

Same here! I live in Jupiter right next to west palm, and it's been pouring pretty bad all day here as well. I think I'll try Juno beach tonight. Gonna post my findings after.

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big I have to switch swinging arms a lot other wise I get all lopsided and throw my back out of whack from digging with the same foot all the time.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big I have to switch swinging arms a lot other wise I get all lopsided and throw my back out of whack from digging with the same foot all the time.

I know if I'm going to keep doing this type of hunting I'm going to have to find some footwear with good ankle and arch supports, something I can drowned in the saltwater without hurting them? My ankles and the top of my feet have been stiff and sore all day. I have no idea how people jog up and down the beach everyday without developing feet and leg issues?

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know if I'm going to keep doing this type of hunting I'm going to have to find some footwear with good ankle and arch supports, something I can drowned in the saltwater without hurting them? My ankles and the top of my feet have been stiff and sore all day. I have no idea how people jog up and down the beach everyday without developing feet and leg issues?
They are kind of pricey but I have several pair of fishing wading boots that zip up the side past the ankle's with heavy soles that are a lot better then water shoes, and they also keep the shells out to.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are kind of pricey but I have several pair of fishing wading boots that zip up the side past the ankle's with heavy soles that are a lot better then water shoes, and they also keep the shells out to.

Gonna have to do something. The saltwater won't rot them away? I had a pair but the saltwater destroyed them in no time.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
only six pull tabs? thats pretty good.

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gonna have to do something. The saltwater won't rot them away? I had a pair but the saltwater destroyed them in no time.

I am talking about the one's that are made out neoprene and are made for the water. Orvis ,Basspro or Cabalas

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always speed hunt the wet sand...I know your supposed to go slow, but thats not for me.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well nothing fast about me, nbut I hunt the same in the city park, I find pockets full using that method. I dont walk towards a far off tree and swing, I enjoy the scenery But I sometimes have to take a day off too. That beach is keeping you healthy for sure. I am hoping to try that ctx 3030 someday and see how good the gps is? I would just mark targets and then come back later and dig the signals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions