Speed of light

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
I've always had a difficult time with this issue. Is speed relative, or absolute, or both ?

If you are travelling at the speed of light, are you actually moving, or is everything else moving towards you ?

In the vacuum of space, with nothing to "hang a tape measure on", prove to me that you actually moved at all.........

Diggem'

(Questions like this have made good friendships between man and whiskey !)

pganjon

Nov 6, 2008
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter 5, Ace 250
Hello, I believe you would still see the beam come out and going forward, except now the beam is doing twice the speed of light :dontknow: :icon_sunny: Kind of like flying a jet at mach 2 and firing a missile that travels at mach 3. Now the missile is traveling at Mach 5 Paul :coffee2:

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Without claiming to be any kind of an expert on quantum mechanics, relativity, or any of the other incredibly out-there fields of physics, I believe that there is something about Einsteins theory of relativity that essentially postulates that it would be impossible to travel faster than the speed of light. Presumeably, it has been demonstrated to some extent that time does slow down as an object travels faster.... I don't know.

Diggem'

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Gastric distress exceeds all the quantum theories :
'Tother night I got some serious cramps and headed for the bathroom fast as I could go .
At the door , before I could think , blink , or turn on the light ; I done filled my britches :tongue3:

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
truckinbutch said:
'Tother night I got some serious cramps and headed for the bathroom fast as I could go .
At the door , before I could think , blink , or turn on the light ; I done filled my britches :tongue3:

I think in your particular case your urgency to go and the speed of light may be just a draw :laughing9:

S

stefen

truckinbutch said:

Sssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttt man

That's called "Crop Dusting", especially if its in gaseous form (or liquid, in your case)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
spray painting the turlet eh? -- go thru a screen door and never hit a wire? --- slow up on the pork rinds and pepsi .

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
The light would come on, but you couldn't see it till the spaceship flew right into your eye. By then it would be too late cause you wouldn't see the spaceship either.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the item your moving in * the bus* for exsample (and thus the contents within it -- are all going equal to 55 mph) thats why if the bus stops suddenly if your not secured properly --you will fly foward "crashing" into stuff -- if not for the 55 mph forward "momentum" you would not go forward but rather simply stay in place.

the lights would come on but since you are going as fast as the light it generates can travel it would not "light" up anything in front of you .*** thus it would be useless to put a headlight on a light speed or better spacecraft -- case solved. (green check please)

LJHanley06

Aug 19, 2006
Did the math on this for my Little Sis last month...ala Star Trek.

Warp Factor 1...Speed of Light (186,000MPS...Miles Per Second)

...traveling to Alpha Centauri (nearest star system) takes too long if travelling in a linear fasion.

If you are capable of Warp Factor 10 (Trans Warp Drive)...you can fold Space and arrive instantaneously at your destination.

This has been done in the movies...albeit on a smaller scale...using ATT. Dial your destination...a portal opens...you step through and Walla Walla. Your there!

LJHanley06

Aug 19, 2006
truckinbutch said:

Reminds me of a lesson in gaseous expansion physics...something we would learn the hard way while in the USAF...DO NOT DRINK SODAS PRIOR TO FLIGHT...if your old, beaten down environmental control system has trouble maintaining a minimum of 6 PSID, then you start to belch, break wind and in a rush to use the facilities...the zipper jambs on your flight suit.

What we laughingly called a "integral gaseous expansion relief valve malfunction"...

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's all relative. For the guy on the sidewalk the man walking on the bus is traveling faster than the bus.

According to relativity, you cannot actually attain the speed of light ('c'). As you approach c you gain infinite mass which takes infinite energy and you can go no faster. Light is massless so it doesn't have this problem.

One part of the equation tells the tale... the square root of 1 minus v squared over c squared, where v is your velocity. If v = c you get the square root of 1-1=0 which is undefined.

If you turned on the headlights their light would propogate at the speed of light relative to the spaceship...one of the fundamentals of relativity is that c remains constant regardless of the frame of reference.

If you could go the speed of light, time would remain at a complete standstill as far as you were concerned.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
in other words --- light speed is time travel as time is stopped at light speed.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The closer you get to the speed of light, the greater your mass and the more energy it takes to propel you. Theoretically, you cannot travel at the speed of light because you would be at infinite mass requiring infinite energy to move. There would not be enough energy in the entire universe to power you to the full 186,000 miles per second.

The reason light can travel at 186,000 miles per second is because it exist as both a wave (frequency) and a particle,but the particle has no mass. If the light particle has no mass to begin with, it's mass does not increase. Zero increased by infinity is still zero. And then a LASR ignores all of that crap. :laughing7:

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ivan salis said:
in other words --- light speed is time travel as time is stopped at light speed.

Yes, but only into the future, not the past. If you left Earth and traveled for a year at near the speed of light and came back to Earth, you would find that much more time on Earth had passed than for you. In effect, you traveled into Earth's future.

Since c is constant regardless of frame of reference, it means that other 'things' must change...that is why, if you were on Earth watching a spaceship hurtling by, you would see that the clock on the spaceship was running slower, the ruler on the spaceship was shorter (in the direction of travel) and the 1Kg weight on the spaceship weighed more than 1 Kg. So, to keep a constant c, time, length and mass all change instead.

There are other theoretical ways to time travel and, indeed, there is nothing in the equations that say that time cannot go backwards.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:

If that were true, light would never go anywhere. Obviously light travels at the speed of light without stopping time.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GibH said:
ivan salis said:

If that were true, light would never go anywhere. Obviously light travels at the speed of light without stopping time.

It depends on your inertial frame of reference. For an observer watching the light, time is not stopped. However, this observer sees that time for the light is stopped...if the photon was wearing a watch the observer would see that it was not running. Just like the spaceship, however, the light would think everything was normal. I know this is a bit different than what I said above...one of the assumptions is that the laws of physics remain the same regardless of your relative motion. So, regardless of how fast you were going everything would seem perfectly normal to you, even if it appeared that time was stopped as judged by an observer at rest relative to your motion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread