Speed up Nickle hunts?

Hunterhound

Jan 11, 2014
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys,

I decided to start my Coin Roll Hunting endeavors with nickels for a couple reasons. (1) I really like some of the older designs and am hoping to find some and (2) I figured most people won't hunt them given the edge design has not changed making it more difficult to spot pick coins from a roll. Regardless, I'm wondering if you guys have some tips to speed up hunting through the rolls. For instance, most of the rolls in this box of mine have been all new coins (2013). However, there have been a few rolls that have contained a 1977 or older nickle among all 2013s. Is there a chance I'll miss a really old coin in one of these rolls (older than 1970s) if I don't open the ones with new coins at the front and back of the roll or is it mainly pointless to open them (i.e. will there never be a coin of sufficient age in one of these rolls like older than 1946)? Any tips are appreciated.

Also, as a more general question, does it matter which bank you get coin boxes from? Given that I've talked to two banks who told me they have to order coin from the Fed, I don't believe it matters but want to make sure. Both of the banks stated they don't keep much coin on hand so sufficient orders require a special request to the Fed.

Thanks,
Hound

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as I know no real way to speed nickles up- like ya said thats why so many dont do them-and yes if I were doing nicks id open every roll cause ya might.miss the buff or war nick amongst all the newer-
as for banks na they all get them from couriers(brinks, loomis, garda etc)who might get them from the fed but most likely get them from their own processing facilities

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Last edited:

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome. Well another hunter here just recently got a nickel box that was 99% all new (2013's I think) and still wound up finding 2 silver from the box. That still seems so amazing to me when I think of it lol. So u just never know for sure what u might find and where you'll find it with this hobby. :)

Good luck and HH!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Most silver war nickels Do NOT have the shinny appearance anymore do to age, so if you are running thru rolls & rolls of new ones, then just look for the dingy dark grayish nics for the possible AG; IMHO.

Rustystcloud

Oct 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Found a 1943S in my change from gas station today. First silver from change in last 2 years.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I edge check nickels looking for the darker ones, then when I drop them in a bucket I look for any v/buff nicks. I don't actively search for the older Jeffersons (non silver).

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
war nickels float in olive oil. I just slice every roll open, drop them in to a big bucket of olive oil, and magically the war nickels float to the top.

OP
OP
H

Hunterhound

Jan 11, 2014
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice. I'll try the edge checking trick on the next few rolls and see if it helps a bit. Interesting about the olive oil. Never heard of that but sounds interesting.

zoomsszoom

Greenie
Mar 5, 2014
Cheektowaga, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I'm Spencer and a new member here. I love coin roll hunting and never knew so many people did it. I started with nickels awhile ago and always opened every roll regardless of what other rolls had. Like "Dozer" said, war nickels are very dark and easy to spot. I only saved nickels below 1950. Going through about $800 in nickels I only found about 15 war nickels and 5 buffalo nickels. Good luck!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice. I'll try the edge checking trick on the next few rolls and see if it helps a bit. Interesting about the olive oil. Never heard of that but sounds interesting.

Ignore what 50 said. He's just pulling your chain. That's just what he does.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
war nickels float in olive oil. I just slice every roll open, drop them in to a big bucket of olive oil, and magically the war nickels float to the top.

Doesnt it have to be extra virgin olive oil 50?

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't war nickels weight more the the standard nickels? If so the oil would make all of the coins float. I don't see anything above a gram floating in olive oil though, Maybe jello.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't edge check nickels. It will occasionally work, but you'll miss the excellent condition keepers...and thats the ones you do not want to miss.

Depending on what you consider a keeper, you might be able to speed up your nickel searching a little. If you keep every pre-<insert date here> nickel, you're going to have to date search every coin. If the coin is reverse-side-up, you have to flip it over and look at the date. However, if you're only interested in the rarer dates and/or silver you do not have to see the date as all the rarer date and silver Jefferson nickels have a mintmark. Just look at whatever side is up. The only coins you have to flip are the ones with a mintmark or one of the correct dates. Over several boxes this will save you a little time.

Did you know the word "gullible" isn't even a real word and is not listed in the dictionary?

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
forget the olive oil. i use my used motor oil.works like a charm!!

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other

Virgin or extra virgin. Non-virgin is too refined with too many added chemicals and will damage the coins. Costco has sales occasionally, this is the stuff I use. Costco Business Delivery - Kirkland Signature Pure Olive Oil 2/101.4 oz

You can get the 5 gallon buckets at Home Depot or lowes. They sell chains that I pull occasionally to as enamel7 said.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
LOL. When I first read it, it didn't seem to make sense but I guess I'll be a little gullible for a while LOL.
when i was younger i used to take it in stride when people would say i was gullible.now i take it as an insult.because it translates in being stupid!ok! ok! stupid is as stupid does.ugh!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions