Speedy detectorists

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I notice a lot of beach hunters are moving at pretty quick speeds and don't really overlap coil sweeps. Seems like there is a lot of ground not being covered. Do you find this hunting style to be more productive than slowing down and overlapping coil sweeps? I've been out at the beach the last two nights and I tend to go slow and overlap. I pulled a silver womens ring two nights ago and a 10K gold mens wedding band last night. Whenever I speed up and try the fast paced methods I see on the beach and in videos my targets go down considerably. I guess this fast paced method must work for some people, but just seems like a lot of ground is being missed, and you might be walking right over that next piece of gold.

Your thoughts?...

HH - Nate

Upvote 0

fwcrawford

Jan 7, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50, Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Sovereign GT
I've only searched the beach twice since starting detecting a few years ago, but I have noticed the same thing as you.
I recently was down your way (Va. beach) and those guys definately cover some ground.
They sure hunt much different than I do when inland hunting and I figured they are searching fast trying to find the " hot" zone and then they tend to slow down and search a little closer.
I have tried the same method, but for me I seem to get better results if I use the same method and inland hunting... searching small areas and swinging slower and overlapping my swings.
I guess it is just a matter of what you feel comfortable doing as targets can be anywhere on the beach.
Maybe the locals figure the more ground covered, the better the odds of finding something.

fwcrawford

Jan 7, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50, Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Sovereign GT
I will add that the guys I met down at Va. beach during my stay were a great bunch and they gave me tips and pointers.
I'm sure they have found more than their share of nice finds, so being new to this kind of hunting, I wasn't about to question their methods.
I did notice the same thing as you though.. they are some speed demons LOL!!

MarkTwa8n

Greenie
Mar 28, 2011
From my experience.... I tend to hunt much faster when I am hunting with a buddy. We are not competing, but i sure don't want to be shown up, so subconsciously I start to pick up my pace. If I am not finding much, I tend to speed up even more, and I am sure I start to miss some good targets. I imagine that the speedy guys you see are worried that other hunters on the beach are going to get all the good stuff, and they are going to go home with nothing but a pile of pulltabs.

When I hunt alone, my pace is much slower, and I tend to find more...but hunting alone is never as much fun.

Moral: don't worry about other hunters and concentrate on your own hunting.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think certain variables come into play. I've noticed with the Excal that when I'm moving at a pretty good clip I can miss some faint signals, mistaking them for common threshold chatter. Just ran into this twice the other day on a deep nickel and a deep piece of silver. Both targets were on that dry/wet sand line and the threshold pitch was constantly changing back and forth and both signals came just as the threshold pitch was changing. The big thing I've noticed is that "very few" MDer's keep their coil flat to the ground throughout their entire swing, more like a "U" with their coils flat to the ground only at the bottom of their swing arc. That's why seeing a lot of detectorist on the beach doesn't bother me anymore. No way are they getting good coverage, maybe a third of what they think they are. But sure, moving too fast can and will cost you some targets.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dirtdigger1581 said:
I notice a lot of beach hunters are moving at pretty quick speeds and don't really overlap coil sweeps. Seems like there is a lot of ground not being covered. Do you find this hunting style to be more productive than slowing down and overlapping coil sweeps? I've been out at the beach the last two nights and I tend to go slow and overlap. I pulled a silver womens ring two nights ago and a 10K gold mens wedding band last night. Whenever I speed up and try the fast paced methods I see on the beach and in videos my targets go down considerably. I guess this fast paced method must work for some people, but just seems like a lot of ground is being missed, and you might be walking right over that next piece of gold.

Your thoughts?...

HH - Nate

Hi Nate! Bottom line for me is picking a piece of beach and water and gridding it. NOBODY does it. The Excall and Sov guys are walking down the waterline like they are there for a walk. I just futz nice and slow up out of the water to the high water mark, turn around and move over 2-feet, and futz right back down into the water hip deep, turn around, move 2-feet over...

I get a lot of looks, treasure, and trash! Now, when I'm done and walking back to the car, I'm swinging like the Minelab guys, fast and careless! :laughing7:

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOW & SLOW is the name of the game :thumbsup: Bear in mind, I'm NOT talking turtle slow, but, slow enough to let the detectors signal dig down deep & enough time for you to hear it & register it. Whipping the coil will not achieve this. Just my opinion.

Terry has the right idea. Take your time & grid it out. No rush. Sand & water ain't going nowhere :laughing7:

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must say the machine and coil makes a big big difference. I have a couple different machines, and some of them are more sensitive than others.
I am not degrading or putting down any machine.
I have 2 tesoro's (which the customer service, and warrenty are top of the line, and they both are great detectors). I also have 3 minelabs - 2 sovg gt's, and an excal along with a garret AT pro ( which has it's day's).
If the coil on some machines do not pass directly over the target, it will not register. Other machines can detect a "ticket" several inches away, and register it.
Every machine has it's place, and every user need's to know their machine. That - in my opinion is why some folks move quick, and others slow.
CONFUSION SAY " JUST CAUSE ONE MOVE FASTER THAN OTHER DON'T MEAN JACK S!%T".

GOOD LUCK OUT THERE, AND HAPPY HUNTING TO ALL.

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The theory of going slow and doing a grid does work. It has happened to me twice. I was at a beach and there was some people from a club. they all were walking a fairly fast walk and I was behind them. Moving real slow and overlapping. I got a platinum ring with 5 diamonds that day. the second one. I was told that a park had been hit hard, it's a waste of your time if you go. I found this. 14k, 9.5 grams and 47 diamonds. HH All. Pete

Attachments

• P5160174-1_edited-1.JPG
    P5160174-1_edited-1.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 656

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your coil goes over it .....you find it.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lookindown said:
If your coil goes over it .....you find it.
:thumbsup: That's why it's better to go low & slow. You end up covering MORE ground. Not just speed skating along the beach whipping the coil about like Indiana Jones :laughing7:

OP
OP
dirtdigger1581

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bigscoop said:
The big thing I've noticed is that "very few" MDer's keep their coil flat to the ground throughout their entire swing, more like a "U" with their coils flat to the ground only at the bottom of their swing arc. That's why seeing a lot of detectorist on the beach doesn't bother me anymore. No way are they getting good coverage, maybe a third of what they think they are.

I also noticed this. I don't mind other hunters on the beach either, I was just curious what the hurry is.

OP
OP
dirtdigger1581

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry Soloman said:
dirtdigger1581 said:

Your thoughts?...

HH - Nate

Hi Nate! Bottom line for me is picking a piece of beach and water and gridding it. NOBODY does it. The Excall and Sov guys are walking down the waterline like they are there for a walk. I just futz nice and slow up out of the water to the high water mark, turn around and move over 2-feet, and futz right back down into the water hip deep, turn around, move 2-feet over...

I get a lot of looks, treasure, and trash! Now, when I'm done and walking back to the car, I'm swinging like the Minelab guys, fast and careless! :laughing7:

That's how I typically hunt. If after a few hours of gridding I haven't found much I might switch to a faster more random pattern hoping to get lucky, but I really like the grid method. I haven't found any rings when randomly walking about, but have found many while gridding. Guess that's what works for me. Just hope those speedsters keep missing the gold ones.

OP
OP
dirtdigger1581

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gold fever pete said:
I found this. 14k, 9.5 grams and 47 diamonds. HH All. Pete

That's what I'm talking about!!! NICE!

Lou from downunder

Mar 16, 2009
Well there you go.... and I thought all you Yanks just raced along, "working" tight, loose or whatever "W" patterns.

Seems some of you work sensibly after all.

I too grid, and while I might only cover a relatively small area, I like to believe that I have got most of what was there.

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gridding works for me, too.

On one of my hunts a couple of years ago, I was "low & slow" gridding N-S; then E-W...wasn't finding much, so decided to try a diagonal in the same area...recovered this 14 K on the diagonal... :o

How did I miss it prior to diagonal :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

Thanks for looking

Lorraine

Attachments

• DSCF0833.JPG
    DSCF0833.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 511

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try to advance slow and over lap sweeps because the coils field is lots smaller at depth than at the surface. If the guys that speed along could see they are only covering about 2" of sand at depth they might slow down but I doubt it as they are hoping to get something by thinking if they cover more ground they are increasing their odds. But as long as you are having fun, that is the name of the game as you'd make more money per your time working serving burgers at a fast food joint.

Once while wading I watched a guy detecting on the dry sand and he just walked along dragging the coil behind him. When he got a beep he'd stop and check it out. Covered the beach in record time and left.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
But as long as you are having fun, that is the name of the game as you'd make more money per your time working serving burgers at a fast food joint.

Ha! The understatement of the year. If I was detecting for money I'd be better off making a sign and holding a cup out for donations on a street corner somewhere :laughing7: :tongue3: :laughing9:

Of course, if I had your money sandman, I would just burn mine :laughing9: :tongue3:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think speed is another reason why water hunters seem to find more gold, because the conditions force them to slow down. Forward progress is typically much slower in the water. They are also getting better coil coverage/overlap for the same reason.

OP
OP
dirtdigger1581

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't expect to get this many responses on this question, but I appreciate everyone's opinions. For those who are speedsters, it must be working or you wouldn't be out there. And for those of us who grid and slow way down, we'll continue to pick up what's left behind. Good luck to everyone out there, slow or fast!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread