Spending the half dollars (LOL)

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
Instead of rerolling the halves and taking them back to the bank I spend mine. I have about $1200 worth. I see the funniest stuff when I give them to the cashier or give them as tips. Saturday we were at a chinese restaurant and I left 7 halves as a tip. We got up to pay the bill at the counter and we look back and there were three chinese waitresses at our table and they were looking at the coins. They didn't know what the heck they were. They ended up showing them to even another waitress. LoL

Yesterday we were at the bookstore and my wife paid for her book with half dollars. There was a line behind her. The cashier says wait a minute and takes the coins with him to the back of the store. A couple minutes later he comes back and puts them in the till and gives my wife a receipt. Evidently he felt he had to check with his supervisor about accepting the halves. It was funny because I wasn't the one waiting in line.

Upvote 0

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a garage sale last summer and some lady wanted to pay with a couple dozen rolls of pennies. I wouldn't take them because I knew I'd have trouble getting rid of them. I directed her to the coin star machine at the local grocery store and she came back later and bought the item. I wasn't trying to be rude, just didn't want to have to go through a dozen or more rolls of pennies. I got half a roll of washers once and that still sticks in my mind. Monty

OP
OP
R

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
I am sorry Monty, but I am going to have to take your coin roll hunting membership card and put you on probation for 2 weeks. What if those rolls of pennies were all indian heads? ;)

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
Well my wife took $20 in halfs to pay for some pictures. 2 rolls of Bicentenials I had >:( Good riddance! The guy said his grandma likes them and pays him for them whenever he gets them. So people do hoard them. I told her to ask next time if she wants $2000 worth of halfs.

I tried to pawn some off the the cable guy today. Turns out he is a coin collector too! Mabye next time.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread