Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a spot that's a pretty long drive so I packed up the camper and spent the week there. Almost everything here is made of obsidian and the ground is massively littered with obsidian debitage. Spotting points among all of it is quite challenging, and even more so this time of the year when the sun doesn't go as high.
Point types include; Elko, Pinto Basin, Humboldt, Cascade, Early Leaf and an almost-whole Crescent. Also a broken Cougar Mountain base.
IMG_5773.jpeg

These Obsidian Lava bombs are everywhere out there. They range in size from pea sized to football sized. When these are broken they are black, brown and even red obsidian. Peoples came from hundreds of miles around to harvest this material.
IMG_5774.jpeg

Here's a look at the ground where the good stuff hides. It's hard to tell, but there are probably 60-80 obsidian flakes in this pic.
IMG_5750.jpeg

The place is lousy with big flakes like this by the millions!
IMG_5751.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5770-1.jpeg
    IMG_5770-1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 15
Upvote 36

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one black obsidian piece when I traveled to the mines in Northern Nevada. I think I left it on a file cabinet at are place in Carlin, NV. Anyways I don't have it in my collection that I know of. I don't get to traverse the great basin anymore, but I got to go all over it for a few decades when I did beginning in the late 1980s all the way into the 2020s. You could spend a lifetime out in that vast emptiness hunting artifacts I always thought.

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I’m guessing you can’t get on your hands and knees to look closer. I’d be wearing some heavy duty knee pads and some non cutting gloves and be on the ground, ha
Some really good finds you had.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a spot that's a pretty long drive so I packed up the camper and spent the week there. Almost everything here is made of obsidian and the ground is massively littered with obsidian debitage. Spotting points among all of it is quite challenging, and even more so this time of the year when the sun doesn't go as high.
Point types include; Elko, Pinto Basin, Humboldt, Cascade, Early Leaf and an almost-whole Crescent. Also a broken Cougar Mountain base.
View attachment 2106534

These Obsidian Lava bombs are everywhere out there. They range in size from pea sized to football sized. When these are broken they are black, brown and even red obsidian. Peoples came from hundreds of miles around to harvest this material.
View attachment 2106540

Here's a look at the ground where the good stuff hides. It's hard to tell, but there are probably 60-80 obsidian flakes in this pic.
View attachment 2106541

The place is lousy with big flakes like this by the millions!
View attachment 2106544
Awesome!!! Love seeing Obsidian points!!! Reminds Me of Southern Idaho:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread