• Wichita Falls Times, October 13, 1963, Page 70 - Spider Rock_files.pdf
    484.3 KB · Views: 657

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
The article's writer, Steve Wilson, wrote a well-known book about the Spider Rock treasure. He also wrote a terrific book on Oklahoma treasure tales - highly recommended.

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
The article's writer, Steve Wilson, wrote a well-known book about the Spider Rock treasure. He also wrote a terrific book on Oklahoma treasure tales - highly recommended.

Cannot agree more Springfield. Wilson's treatment of the Spider Rock Treasure represents, in my opinion, the single best book on any buried treasure ever written. It's not a book for everyone though. It's dense and dry, but in terms of presenting evidence in a scholarly fashion it has no equal. Wilson has taken a topic that many historians would have dismissed outright and provided an exhaustive and academic list of sources and evidences. Honestly, this book is the prototype for what I'd like my treatment of Montezuma's treasure to look like. Wilson has amassed 5 decades of his own work and 5 decades of others historical analysis to provide the single best example of how a controversial topic like buried treasure can still be treated with respect and academic thoroughness. Sorry...didn't mean to run on...

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting story.

I can't say I am well versed on the story. However I can confirm the claimed discoverers of the stone existed. Dave M Arnold was a Farmer living in Texas in 1900. He married had children in 1920 and was still recorded living in Texas until the 1930s. His alleged financial backer Dr Caleb Lafond Terrell did exist. However his date of death in not known at this stage. There is only one record of him in the 1870 census.

Amy

Caarcaar

Sep 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting story.

I can't say I am well versed on the story. However I can confirm the claimed discoverers of the stone existed. Dave M Arnold was a Farmer living in Texas in 1900. He married had children in 1920 and was still recorded living in Texas until the 1930s. His alleged financial backer Dr Caleb Lafond Terrell did exist. However his date of death in not known at this stage. There is only one record of him in the 1870 census.

Amy

In case anyone is looking at this and wants to know about Dr. Terrell.
Caleb Terrell.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread