Primary Interest:
Other
DiveWrecks said:
Too bad this one got over cleaned:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200308539027

That's just my opinion, YMMV.

Stan

haha! That's my cob. ;D :thumbsup:

It's the same one I used as a avatar. It's maybe not as shiny as my ebay photo but it's shiny ;D

If you want to sell a cob today on ebay you have to get that photo as shiny as you possibly can. 99.9% of the buyers are looking for genuine cobs ultra shiny. Very few purest collectors come anywhere near ebay these days.

A lot of my cobs over the years were bought by dealers and then sold in their shops for 3 times my price.

Whomever gets this one gets an awesome cob mighty cheap. It's easily worth $250.

This one was found by Bob _____ (I can prove this too). I even have the photo of when he dug it.

He recently made a giant find which will be coming to light soon.

Thanks for the laugh and no hard feelings...I thought it was really funny. ;D

Attachments

• cob3.jpg
    cob3.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 371

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remove foot... and insert to the knee cap. :icon_pale:

Bran <><

OP
OP
D

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
MB, What a riot! ;D

I knew it was yours from the post a few weeks ago when you got it.

I couldn't resist after your earlier post to Radu today:

"You might want to offer some for sale uncleaned. Many collectors are looking for these. In uncleaned condition it's easier to prove they're genuine."

Stan :icon_jokercolor:

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
DiveWrecks said:
MB, What a riot! ;D

I knew it was yours from the post a few weeks ago when you got it.

I couldn't resist after your earlier post to Radu today:

"You might want to offer some for sale uncleaned. Many collectors are looking for these. In uncleaned condition it's easier to prove they're genuine."

Stan :icon_jokercolor:

Okay, I knew that you knew that I knew that you knew that was from the post a few weeks ago when I got it.

But, if I knew that you knew, then why didn't I know that you knew?

Just added: Maybe it was because I knew that you knew, and this knowing led to the subconscious rejection of the the fact that I knew that you knew (or words to this affect)?

MB

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I agree on eBay shiny sells. But Stan has a good point. A sand and coral encrusted cob should sell good as well.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
bigcypresshunter said:
I agree on eBay shiny sells. But Stan has a good point. A sand and coral encrusted cob should sell good as well.

I taught Stan everything he knows ::)

About what I won't say ;D

Ya! I want an encrusted cob! :thumbsup:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
They say cleaning antiques or coins ruins the value, and in most cases it does. But if you can clean it and make it appear to be in new condition and be sure it looks like it hasnt been cleaned, you can get more for it. Clean it but dont admit it.

I think a black cob is beautiful but I guess it needs be shiny for jewelry uses.

OP
OP
D

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Michigan Badger said:
I taught Stan everything he knows ::)

About what I won't say ;D

Yes, MB's knowledge of vintage metal detectors (or maybe mine detectors) hints at his vast experience (age). ;D

There is really an art in cleaning coins and I am studying a little beyond the simple surplus wall charger circuit instructions we all know about.

Here is an excellent resource on all kinds of marine conservation. I downloaded the whole web site (around 30 MB) to a CD for my reference library:

http://nautarch.tamu.edu/class/anth605/File0.htm

The links towards the bottom cover all materials. Obviously we are talking about silver here....

Stan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread