**** SPLIT SECOND DECISION ****

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
OK. I like to think out my split second decisions ahead of time to make them faster.
Here's an example of split second decision.
While in Mexico, I tried bull fighting. The Matador that instructed me said, " The bull doesn't care about that red cape, he is after you. You use the red cape to taunt him and hide behind. When he sights you in he then lowers his head and nearly looses sight of you jest before he charges. You hide your movements behind the cape. You sidestep just before he hits the cape. He can't see the movement." Wow, that tidbit of info proved true. The bull hit the cape and just wizzed by. But he can turn fast! He never got me in the 20 minutes or so that I played him.

OK now for your experience. Frank five star.png

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My cousin and I were teasing a bull that my Grandpa had. We knew it would chase us if we entered its pasture. So us being 13 (me) and 14 years old we had it all figured out. We waited till the bull walked away some and we'd see who could get the furthest out into the pasture before the bull chased one of us back to the wooden fence to clear. It was a HOTTTT Aug. day in Missouri. Grandpa was gone but would be back from work that afternoon. He was a cook on the railroad. I was skinny, really fast and agile. Chuck was BIG, slow and couldn't jump at all. It was Chucks turn and out he went. Well he went to far and the chase was on and he was going to lose. I knew this, Chuck knew this and so did the bull. Lying next to the wooden fence on the pasture side was an old ax handle with the head gone. Chuck ran to the fence... picked up the old handle and swung as hard as he could. He hit that bull square up side the head with the handle and the bull knocked Chuck down into the fence unhurt. Chuck jumped up, climbed the fence while the bull watched and then we both watched the bull drop a few seconds later stone dead!!!! It never so much as moved again. That split second decision lead to one of the worse days I EVER had in my life!!!!!!

Grandpa came home about 1 hr. later in a great mood. We told Grandpa something was "wrong" with the bull behind the house. So he goes and looks and he's devastated. He asked how long the bull had been lying there. We said we "didn't know". He was confused because blood had come out the bulls nose. He made some phone calls to my Uncles about butchering the bull but everybody was leery because of the bulls unknown death. Another hour passed and without knowing they decided NOT to butcher it. We knew they could and should. We told the truth and ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE!!!!! So out comes the entire family circle (15-20 folks) and we butcher ALL NIGHT LONG!!!! We got a whuppin from Grandpa, Grandma and every Uncle. They called my parents in MI. and they hit the road. That was the worst part... WAITING!!!!! When my dad got there it was not a good reunion for all. Chuck and I got another whuppin and it was the worse one of all. But we did learn NOT to smack bulls around no more.

Nobody could hardly believe that Chuck had put down that large bull with a single swing from a broken ax handle.... but he did. Hell I was super impressed and NEVER picked on Chuck anymore.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
We were arm wrestling when a leg gave way on one of the big ol fancy chairs at the table. Being only dowels that had slipped out, the refugee who had been in the chair when it failed hammered it back into its holes with his shoe. Taa daa! no one needs to know.
Elderly and well proportioned grandmother came to visit that night. Of all the chairs she could have tested at dinner time. Oh yes, she crashed. The two of us that knew tried to avoid eye contact while turning colors trying not to bust. Acting danged concerned because a laugh would have proven near fatal. A relapse of private hysteria washed over us guilty when grandmother refused to sit in any of the other chairs thinking it was her weight. Ever try to inhale tears through your eyes? If I go to hell that incident may factor...

Last edited:

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In Iraq while on base, we were taught the IA (immediate action) drills, ie, when you hear the siren, hit the deck!!!

While driving alone one day, I stopped my truck to check something - I heard a feint "pop / thud" sound and hit the deck, lots of guys walking by laughed and stated to make a few comments, right up till the mortars hit!!
It seems the radar had not picked them up, thus the siren was not sounded.

Not sure about split second decisions, but it sure pays to trust you gut!!

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, a REAL decision this time, luckily not mine.....

Basra, Iraq.
Two guys in the "latrine" block ( no more than a trailer actually)
One having a shower, the other sitting, in a cubicle doing "his thing" ........ They are chatting and joking.....

The siren goes off, so it's IDF incoming for sure.....

The guy in the shower hits the deck, thru the shower curtain, covered in suds, and very naked....
The guy still sitting on the toilet, leans out (still sitting) and laughs at this guys over reaction.......

A second later, a 140mm shell hits nearby and peppers the trailer with shrapnel .....

The guy sitting dies instantly, the guy laying (18 inches lower) survives.

God Bless those in the Coalition forces who served, and died, and God Bless those who will do the exact same thing in future operations without a thought, just to keep us safe.

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, a REAL decision this time, luckily not mine.....

Basra, Iraq.
Two guys in the "latrine" block ( no more than a trailer actually)
One having a shower, the other sitting, in a cubicle doing "his thing" ........ They are chatting and joking.....

The siren goes off, so it's IDF incoming for sure.....

The guy in the shower hits the deck, thru the shower curtain, covered in suds, and very naked....
The guy still sitting on the toilet, leans out (still sitting) and laughs at this guys over reaction.......

A second later, a 140mm shell hits nearby and peppers the trailer with shrapnel .....

The guy sitting dies instantly, the guy laying (18 inches lower) survives.

God Bless those in the Coalition forces who served, and died, and God Bless those who will do the exact same thing in future operations without a thought, just to keep us safe.

Amen BVI.... This decision you reference makes the one my cousin made immaterial. And it should be. Thank you and ALL for your service. I have many split minute decisions I've made and seen. But none can even come close to this story and are immaterial.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BVI, we all thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your service.

When I was a kid, we had a red rooster that would stand and watch you walk by, then attack you from behind. One day Mom took a dishpan of 'scraps' from the vegetables she had been preparing for canning out to the back and dumped them into the pen for the hogs to eat. When walking back toward the house, I saw her spin around and swing the dishpan at something behind her. She had heard the 'pat, pat, pat' footfalls as that old rooster ran to attack her. She hit the rooster and knocked him several feet back down the path. He just laid there. She came to the house and got things done that needed to be done, then went out to get the rooster. She was going to prepare him for the oven. When she got about 3 feet from him, he jumped up, shook himself, and walked off like nothing had happened. He had been 'out cold' for about 20 minutes or longer!

Also, Mom had an incident with a cow that would try to butt you when you turned away from her. Mom had a garden hoe in her hand and heard the cow lumbering toward her. She stopped, turned around, and hit that cow in the head with the hoe. The cow just stood there for a few seconds, shook her head, and wandered off toward the barn. Mom said the cow was lucky because she happened to think and turn the hoe so that the back hit instead of the sharp edge.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know if you would call it a "split second decision"but,I have had numerous instances where I should have died or been severely maimed.

That inner voice I listened to.........THANK YOU LORD........THANK YOU.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Nobody could hardly believe that Chuck had put down that large bull with a single swing from a broken ax handle.... but he did. Hell I was super impressed and NEVER picked on Chuck anymore.
----------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------

That's how the old slaughter houses use to put down the bulls with one hit to the head with a 10# maul.
Frank five star.png
Bull 2.jpg NO!!!!!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread