Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This can be very tricky enddeed. A fast way and fun way is: First find is his second find is yours. In coins only or everything. Just a thought. ;D ;D ;D Burdie

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
First, a disclaimer. I have never had to do this. But I have thought about it a lot and have decided that it depends on what is found and where you are. However, one idea is "I get first pick, then you get the next two, and then I get the next two after that...." It seems since the #1 item would possibly have sat in the ground for a few more decades if you hadn't come around, and since you recovered it, you should be compensated for doing the work of finding it. However, let's say there's a silver half and fourteen zinc cents, and that's it. Well, I know that for some, that silver half would be in their boot, and it would never be mentioned when it came time to settle. As for me, I would show it to the person and check the value, and then pay him half, if I could. (This of course is provided that before there was any searching, there was a stipulation that we were going to share what had been found...) If there were no agreement, but then when you found something, the land owner became possessive, you have a problem. Maybe in a case like that, the boot isn't that bad of an idea after all.... ;)

Best wishes,

Mike

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I want to search the property and the land owner asks for cut before I start, I ask if he is willing to pay for half the investment of equipement. Otherwise, I just move on.........there is enough free land to search.

hoosierfinds

Dec 14, 2005
Richmond Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
When I got my detector, my wife got on my case about asking to dig in peoples' yards and then keeping everything. She suggested I offer to split things when I ask permission. The next time I went out I found a walking liberty half (one of two in three years of hunting). The lady was there with me and it was her turn to keep the find. I offered her three dollars for it. I guesss she got confused because she came out before I was done and gave me three dollars for it. Still, I would rather have the coin. I have never made the offer again. If someone asks, I just say I can't because I work hard and don't even get enough to cover gasoline expenses ( that makes a strong point with today's gas prices). If they don't agree, I just move on. (By the way, I was stuck with just a few pennies and a lot of junk when the owner got the half.)

Vicegrip

Aug 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Troy X5, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I have done A few times is offer the owner my spare. twice I have been taken up on the offer and both times they were to busy to care about my goodies.
Devin

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This probably won't make me a lot of friends, but I have done this in the past and I know of others who do it as well.

Bring maybe 5-10 dug wheat pennies and a dug indian or two. Make sure they are still dirty. Keep them seperate from your finds and when you go to show the property owner what you have found show them all of those coins that you brought with you and keep your good coins in a seperate pocket. Then just offer to let the land owner have all of the coins that you brought and let them think that you dug them that day.

You work hard for the coins that you find, don't give away your hard work to the landowner. If they really cared about what was in their yard they could go and get their own detector and get the coins.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bscofield6 said:
Bring maybe 5-10 dug wheat pennies and a dug indian or two. Make sure they are still dirty. Keep them seperate from your finds and when you go to show the property owner what you have found show them all of those coins that you brought with you and keep your good coins in a seperate pocket. Then just offer to let the land owner have all of the coins that you brought and let them think that you dug them that day.

You work hard for the coins that you find, don't give away your hard work to the landowner. If they really cared about what was in their yard they could go and get their own detector and get the coins.

I'v done this also, However for Different reasons.

If I'm searching a Home site for the first time, and the owner want's to see what I found.
I bring a few wheats, memorials, a couple mercs & Indians
a Buffalo & if the house is real old Ill ad a Large cent to the mix.
I do this Just in case I don't find anything but trash.

This way, I don't have to leave the property after saying "I have nothing to show you" and wondering If they think I lied.

So far even when this has happend and I asked if they want any,
they have said "no, you found them" but at least I left without
the fear they think I'm a thief.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ferrous warrior said:
Make sure you offer half of the trash also.

I'v done this to Grounds Keepers at public Parks.

If they Show up after I start detecting, and say something like
"I get Half" ;D I like to pull out a Can tab and say

"I got a Can tab, Do you want Half now or later ?" :P

It almost always Gets a conversation started which leads to
more places to hunt.

What would probably be better,
Carry a candy wrapper, in your trash apron (Bag)
When they ask, offer half of that. then They see your picking up surface trash also.​

Or offer half a Broken bottle ;)

I don't have access to a Syringe, that or something that would Mangle a Lawn Mower, would be the Ultimate ;D

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
bscofield6 said:

I'v done this also, However for Different reasons.

If I'm searching a Home site for the first time, and the owner want's to see what I found.
I bring a few wheats, memorials, a couple mercs & Indians
a Buffalo & if the house is real old Ill ad a Large cent to the mix.
I do this Just in case I don't find anything but trash.

This way, I don't have to leave the property after saying "I have nothing to show you" and wondering If they think I lied.

So far even when this has happend and I asked if they want any,
they have said "no, you found them" but at least I left without
the fear they think I'm a thief.

Yeah, at one site I found nothing but trash and a few modern coins and offered to let them have the coins that I brought. It's also good to have them there so it doesn't look like you spend the whole day out there digging to find nothing at all.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I offered to split the take with the owner and then wasn't honest about what I found I think my conscience would bother me too much. I was taught that a man was only as good as his word and I've always tried to instill that in my kids. I also believe the saying that "there's a little larceny in everyone's heart" or, "a lock is there only to keep an honest man honest." I can understand the temptation. I am in this game mostly for the hunt, the exercise and the sheer fun of getting out and exploring, and I don't expect to make a fortune at it like some would. A couple of times I have found something interesting and photographed it and given it to the property owner. Everything I find except some trash, I photograph and save it for my own gratification. Otherwise I keep everything I find and have no interest in selling it. I'm not saying that I wouldn't if I really needed the money, but so far I haven't. I like being able to look in the mirror when I shave in the morning and seeing the face of a guy that I trust. Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, I forgot to add that if a property owner tried to screw me then all bets are off! >:( Monty

Antny

Jun 23, 2006
NY State & Caribbean 18*N
A few years back, I was hunting an old property & made a deal with the owner that I would give them the relics & I would keep any coins or jewelry.
The owners were happy with the horseshoes, old tools, etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread