Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually hunt the water at the beach but when it starts to cool down I have a few sports fields and parks I hit. I went to a multi purpose field today where Ive found gold and silver rings in the past. Three hours of digging pull tabs and coins and I got a feeling and said to myself "Im going to dig a gold ring today". Thirty minutes later I see this 10k shining in the hole.

Attachments

• IMG_0156.JPG
    IMG_0156.JPG
    294.9 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0158.JPG
    IMG_0158.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0159.JPG
    IMG_0159.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0160.JPG
    IMG_0160.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0162.JPG
    IMG_0162.JPG
    252.3 KB · Views: 167
Upvote 21

jcobb

May 23, 2008
Ft. Worth Tejas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030...AT Pro & Garrett Pro Pointer
Bounty Hunter 505 (Loaner)
Congrats on the gold!
I have found about 95% of my gold on sports fields

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone come up with a ratio of the numbers of pulltabs you can expect to find before you find a gold item like a ring or bracelet?

OP
OP
lookindown

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone come up with a ratio of the numbers of pulltabs you can expect to find before you find a gold item like a ring or bracelet?
You don't want to know that number :laughing7: ...It varies widely and depends on the number of pull tabs that are at the location your hunting...you could hunt around picnic tables where you would dig hundreds of tabs for every gold...compared to a soccer field where you could find gold while digging very few tabs...I dug 95 targets on this hunt but many of them were shallow and my pin pointer picked them up and I popped em out with a screwdriver.

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful gold !

thommo59

Mar 6, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't change settings to find a gold ring, I just got a good confident feeling during my hunt. I use an AT pro and hunt in zero mode and dig everything above iron. When hunting sports fields, parks, etc. Im looking for gold.

Nice ring, I wish I had the patience to dig everything above iron on my AT Pro. The gold rings I have found in the past have been scratchy and anything from 42 to 62 on my ATP. The numbers will also vary if your GB isn't spot on as well. When I'm hunting, a 53 is always a pull tab so these days I just don't look anymore, 61 is always the ring pull but I know if I get a solid 76 it's an aussie $1 coin.

What coil are you using and what numbers on the VDI do you see for gold v's pull tabs etc?

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice looking ring amidst the pile of pulltabs!, great find!!

OP
OP
lookindown

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring, I wish I had the patience to dig everything above iron on my AT Pro. The gold rings I have found in the past have been scratchy and anything from 42 to 62 on my ATP. The numbers will also vary if your GB isn't spot on as well. When I'm hunting, a 53 is always a pull tab so these days I just don't look anymore, 61 is always the ring pull but I know if I get a solid 76 it's an aussie $1 coin.

What coil are you using and what numbers on the VDI do you see for gold v's pull tabs etc?
Im using the 8.5x11. I get tabs from 52 to 65...Ive found gold rings from 45 to 74...the 74 was an 8.6 gram, big diameter 10k band...most rings came in the mid 50s...the one in this post was a solid 49.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So here's the thing. I've never dug a ring that had a stone missing. So I am wondering - if I got a ring like yours - with a tiny diamond missing, Lookindown, is it a melt-value ring or would you go the distance to replace the stone? Is it worth the effort? Grats on the find, btw.

OP
OP
lookindown

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So here's the thing. I've never dug a ring that had a stone missing. So I am wondering - if I got a ring like yours - with a tiny diamond missing, Lookindown, is it a melt-value ring or would you go the distance to replace the stone? Is it worth the effort? Grats on the find, btw.
Would repair only if the wife wanted it...she doesn't want it...going to scrap.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
beez0404,

Let's say I've been detecting for about 20 years and the last 7 or 8 years everything from pulltabs and up....probably dig 3 or 4 gold items per year land hunting only.....oh yeah probably about 5,000 targets per season.

Mind you I also find lots of clad, older coins, buttons and other relics....as lookingdown mentioned it will vary from site to site and hunt to hunt so pretty hard to come up with any valid formula to use overall.

Regards + HH

Bill

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread