Spray-on Coil Cover

ALDORADO

Greenie
Nov 4, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just thought I would share this with you guys.

I used this "EZ Liner" Boxliner spray to use as a coil cover. I have used it in other applications and it has never failed me. You can get it at Canadian Tire. $10.

I did a before and after test to make sure I did not lose any depth, it's fine.

Now you can have a lightweight durable coil cover that never gets sand stuck between it and the coil.

Great for folks having a hard time finding a coil cover for their machine.

Have fun. AL

Attachments

• Coil Cover.JPG
    Coil Cover.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 935

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a really good idea. I used to sell trucks for GMC and am familiar with that spray on bed liner. very very very durable!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
That looks like a neat job. My only question is why bother? I have been using the same two detectors with the same two coils for over 11 years with no problem and one is a water detector. Now if you are going to sell it and you want to cover some minor scratches I can see a reason or if you aren't careful with your detector there could be another reason. Frank
PS, I don't use coil covers

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Well I guess you can take it or leave it depending on your personal preference for coil covers. I use a cover, no idea why other than the store through it in when I made my purchase.

However, let's not over look the fact that it is another example of genuine Canadian ingenuity! :hello2:

Way to go bro, that's genius!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gold prospectors started using this method back in the 80's with Minelab coils because we couldn't get good covers. That Tesoro 11" eliptical is a great coil, and the cover that fits it - fits nice and tight. While Tesoro would most likely still honor the warranty - cause that is the kind of Company they are, you technically just voided it. With the price of coils these days, I would think twice before buying a used machine with a coil that has been sprayed. To me that denotes laziness, which means the owner was probably slammin' it around, leaving it in the car at 110-degrees or 13-degrees, using it as a doorstop. Kinda like a used car and bondo..

Al, I'm not slamming you - Honest. I'm just saying coil covers are really THE best way to go. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
A

ALDORADO

Greenie
Nov 4, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought the Lobo used, technically I have no warranty. I wish to protect my investment.

I still have my old machine, I don't plan on selling this one either.

I use it for hard rock prospecting, coin shooting on gravel roads, train tracks etc. I am anal about things and wish to keep it in great functional condition. I was concerned at the rate minor scratches I was getting despite being careful. (compared to my old Fisher)

I don't have to clean a cover, it's lighter.

I think it would be obvious by looking at the rest of the machine, to know weather the person was abusive or lazy. A repair made by a lazy person would also be obvious.

I just like doing stuff like this.

It's not for everyone. Now I can "get in there" without worrying.

Thanks guys, have fun AL.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is the best method to void your factory warranty. It's good Idea, but the coil will not be covered by any warranties. . Please be careful folks if your concerned about your warranties. Just protecting the consumer.

OP
OP
A

ALDORADO

Greenie
Nov 4, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys must have your gear break down an awful lot to be that concerned about warranty.

Aside from Tesoro, how long are most warranties?, a measly year or too? Ever read the fine print? A coil is a wearable item.-at their discretion.

If you bought a decent machine chances are it's going to work fine for the next 10 to 20 years.

OK so if your still in warranty, hold off to be on the safe side, or have a second coil handy. I don't think they can void you for having another coil on there. (One of their products ofcoarse)

Keep in mind that the nay-sayers are affiliated with a particular company, or might be selling a particular product.

Valid point nonetheless.

AL.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
aldorado, I said in my post that I think it looks good. It just that a few minor scratches on the bottom of a coil don't bother me. I usually scan about an inch above the ground because my detectors go deep enough to get the goods even though they are over 11 years old. That coating is a good idea if you are concerned about scratches. To me it's like my drill. as long as it makes holes and screws screws, I don't care about scratches. Frank

OP
OP
A

ALDORADO

Greenie
Nov 4, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know how it is, you get a new iPod or a black truck... the first few scratches are the worst. :-\

My last detector got used without the coil cover, even though I have it around somewhere. It was new in 1985 and never wore out.

Come to think of it the scratches I did get might have came from a bottle dump I dug out a few weeks back. Broken glass poking up is a sharp as anything your going to come across.

I was concerned the bottom of the coil was maybe a little thinner then my old MD. I can only judge by pushing on it a bit in the center, so I don't really know how thick it is.

Anyhow now I have no worries. I really like this detector. It was in new condition when I got it. Came from a Dr. off eBay. Heck I'm still working off his batteries.

Only thing not in the box was the bottom half of the Warranty card. :( lol.

Figured if I was going to do it, sooner is better then later.

I agree with ya frank about most tools, I'm the same way, you just have to live with it in that case, or go crazy.

Although I draw the line somewhere, higher end precision tools, $500 or more in value, I take better care of, then say impact drills or skill saws.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Great idea, although the first thing I do is remove the covers on my coils, and never go back.

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not using a coil cover or protector gives me an excuse to get a new coil every couple of years. I don't bang mine around too much but I do keep it as close to the ground as possible to make sure I get as deep as possible and the bottom does wear over time.

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
Wow! Where did all that come from? BTW I think its a great idea.

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
I kinda took a new direction on this. I sprayed the coil cover and installed it on my machine. I sealed the edges with silicone. Many guys here also use it on their boots. Cheaper to spray than pay.

Bobb

Sep 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought I would share this with you guys.

I used this "EZ Liner" Boxliner spray to use as a coil cover. I have used it in other applications and it has never failed me. You can get it at Canadian Tire. $10.

I did a before and after test to make sure I did not lose any depth, it's fine.

Now you can have a lightweight durable coil cover that never gets sand stuck between it and the coil.

Great for folks having a hard time finding a coil cover for their machine.

Have fun. AL
Ok, now hears a thought for anyone else thinking this is maybe a good Idea , and I do think it is. how about spraying a few coins, nails , silver and maybe a small gold nugget with several different bed liner products and, then d
oing some measurement air testing with the sprayed for coating metals ?

Bobb

Sep 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Place the presouse metals in thin plastic containers before spraying . I wouldn't want bed liner spray on anything of value other than the coil bottom and sides.

Pennypacker

Banned
May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP has a great idea, maybe you can test it out.

I think the product is a polyurethane/polyurea mixture that is essentially just plastic. As long as the coloring is non-metalic it should be fine to use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread