Spring Break-up

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
The first pic is ice shoved up on the boat launch ramp. These pics are of the Black River that flows into the St.
Clair River which is the big river and International Boundry between the U.S. and Canada.

Number is some more pile-up. That square thing floating down river is a set of stair treads likt the ones on a deck.

Number 3 shows a bout hoist in front of a house with the ice going along the river bank.

The next couple of days after taking the pic showing the bout hoist, the ice started jaming up at a bend down river
a bit. That caused the water and ice to back up quite a ways up river. when it broke loose it carried a lot of debree
along on the flood waters and ice. This is what is left of the boat hoist in #3 pic.

I hope you enjoy.

Ray

Attachments

• IMG_0169.JPG
    IMG_0169.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0075_1.JPG
    IMG_0075_1.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0168.JPG
    IMG_0168.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 209

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
wow, your pix make me feel bad cuz I just posted my spring pics, & they sure don't look like that. sure am glad I'm here, & not there

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man it's hard to imagine the river frozen over all winter. I don't see how you guys stand the cold climes. I am in a moderate zone and it's too cold for me sometimes. It did a number on that boat lift didn't it? We have similar problems here nearly every spring with heavy rain and flooding. Sometimes cause damage on the boat docks etc on the area lakes. But we do have tornado season that begins about the first of May thru August and some times in between. If it ain't one thing it's another as they say. Monty

S

seger98

reminds me of one of the stupidest things I ever done in my life.... :-X But i ain't talkin' Nice photos!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
seger98 said:
reminds me of one of the stupidest things I ever done in my life.... :-X But i ain't talkin' Nice photos!

awwww I think I would have liked hearin those stories! :tongue3:

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Good morning, mamabear, I just checked out your spring pics and they are some nice scenes. It's always so nice to see the
the flowers start blooming after a long cold winter. Our snow is all gone now except for a few snowbanks here and there
that are partially shaded from the sun. The ponds are still mostly iced over yet but the Dafadills in our back yard are
2-3 inches high now so spring has hit and summer is almost here. It was 55 degrees yesterday and supposed to be 65
today although tomorrow it will be dropping back down to the 40's and 50's. But that is still better than the cold
winter weather. Thanks for your reply.

Hello, Monty, Our winters here in Michigan are not really as bad as they are some of the other northern states. Living
here, you get used to the winters, more or less, although, spring is always a very welcome sight. The one problem is that
once spring starts, it seems to drag out so long before the nice summer weather gets here. On a good note, that is about the
worst weather we get. we do get an ocasional tornado but no other terrible forces of Nature like huricanes, earthquakes,
mud or rock slides and the like, so we are fortunate that way.
Thanks for your reply.

rmptr, Nope, i have never been interested in any of that Polar Bear stuff although there are some here that do it just to
say that they have done it. Moving the ice out of the way so I can go in swimming just does not appeal to me. LOL
Thanks for your looking and your reply.

Hello seger, yup, like Cynangyl said it might make a good story. BUT I don't blame you for not wanting to elaborate on
the stupidest thing you ever did.LOL Thanks for looking and a good chuckle. We were at an ice fishing festival up
north of here one time and they broke out a hole in the ice on the lake a few feet wide and several feet long. There were
about 10 to 15 guys and 4 girls that jumped in and did the swim. The officials would tie a rope around the swimmer and walk along side the hole while they were swimming and help pull them out at the other end which was probably about 20feet
and wrap a big towel around them. Then they would run to a big tent set up for them to get dressed into warm and dry
clothes. The temp that day was 12 degrees with a really cold bitter wind. That is not something that I really care to
do. LOL

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Always loved paddling the still icy-edged creeks and rivers when they're high and thawing, get's you through the rock gardens in a hurry.

Just a little shy of those inevitable end-overs these days. Hit one ice dam going real fast one time and got me and the canoe launched airborne, landed and sliding on ice on the other side, breaking that ice, resulting in a break of the ice dam, resulting in a real wrenching ride down a narrow with big ice and fast water, it was cool. No really, it was very cool. Downright freezing.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyway, it's finally 'breaking up. :thumbsup:

Fossis.............

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
lol get back on the ground Just-Geese...this is not a steeple chase! That part cracked me up!

S

seger98

Just Geese unfortunately is not a member to Treasure net after he deleted his account last night! :-\

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
wooohoooo in the lead now! ;D

J-G hopefully will rethink things and come back but if not, will wish him best and pray he is blessed and keeps in touch

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Texastee,

You really steal the race. You won by 5 lengths with Cynangyl running a close 2nd with just-geese coming in third' still
flying high. He hit a headwind or he might come in first flying as just-geese do.

Thanks to texastee and all of you for a great laugh. It was great fun.

Ray

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
lol not sure how we ended up in a horse race but it was very entertaining and I placed! yay! lol

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
And I left my ticket at the window. Bet somebody picked it up and cashed it in already. Or maybe I shouldn't bet....

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Lowbatts,
That must have been quite a ride with the canoe on the breaking ice. I love canoeing, too. Have had one for many years.
I first learned to use a canoe at our church Bible camp at the ripe old age of ten. I knew right away it was my sport. Karen and I have had some great times, canoeing, over the years. I really love the rivers going through the wilds.
Thanks for looking and your interesting reply.

Fossis,
Yup it sure looks good to see it gone. Now the next thing is to get the frost out of the ground. Some of it is
already gone out. Thanks for looking.

Seger98,
I missed your post about just-geese dropping out. I had just shown Karen the funny horse-race write-up bt Texastee
and must have gone right past it. Thanks for looking and for the info on him. I hope he comes back but if he doesn't
I wish him well.

Cynangyl
You came in 2nd place right behind Texastee. It was a good finish. Thanks for entering. LOL

Texastee
Wow! You really honor me. That was one heck of a great idea, doing a horse-race like that. I was not expecting such a nice reception on these pics. Thanks a million for the complement and intertainment. You mentioned Red Fox. We used
to watch him too. He was always getting into some situation that he didn't like and then would have his hand on his
heart and say "It's the big one coming on. I'm coming Liz-beth" LOL

Lowbatts and Sniffer,
Thanks for joining in on the fun.

Happy Hunting everyone and youall have a Happy St. Patrick's Day

'MAY THE LUCK O' THE IRISH BE WITH YE'

Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions