Spring Cleaning, Fairy Hearts and Bangles

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Spring Cleaning, Fairy Hearts and Bangles

Spring has Sprung! Oh yes it has! I just posted yesterday evening about my, at that time, latest adventures in metal detecting. I made a search of three elementary school playgrounds downtown here in my fair city of Lexington Kentucky. I had a good time to be sure, and I found a goodly pile of clad and treasures amongst the woodchips of the playgrounds. I also said in that at the time of writing of that last post that I was considering running down the street to detect yet another schoolyard playground before it got dark on me. Well, as life is want to do sometimes, something else came up and I didn’t actually make it back out for another search yesterday evening. Instead, I was accompanied by my darling wife on another hunt this morning. The predicted rainfall had yet to materialize this morning after breakfast and she knew that I was itching to get out and do some more detecting, so we loaded into my little detector wagon (pickup truck), and headed back downtown to check out a couple more schoolyards that I’ve never detected at before. The first tot lot was a wonderland of woodchips and playground equipment only a couple of years old, and the Spring Cleaning Commenced!
To say that I was probably the first and ONLY person to have detected at this particular playground would be an understatement to be sure. I hadn’t made two sweeps from the edge of the woodchip barrier when I got the first signal. Ten minutes later I was still only three feet from the edge where I had begun the hunt. Coins, coins, coins and more coins! Of course with the occasional pull tab or wad of foil thrown in to keep things interesting, I mean what would a treasure hunt be without the usual suspects? When I finally turned my machine off and returned to my truck, an hour later, my wife had finished reading her magazine she’d brought with her to keep herself entertained. My finds bag was bruising my leg from the weight of coins and goodies picked up. I had honestly lost count after about three dollars in coins, of which there were mostly pennies but with a load of quarters, dimes and a smattering of nickels. I found one lone wheaty and two Canadian Cents at that first playground as well though.

WheatComp.jpg

On the same street, several blocks away, I stopped at the second of what would be four schoolyards searched today.. before I got tired and began thinking (being reminded) about lunch. I only found about a dollar or so in coins here, at the third school and the fourth it was about the same story. But there were other treasures found as well as the usual junk and stuff. There were the buttons and snaps and studs that adorn jeans, jackets and other clothing that the kids wear to school.

Buttons.JPG

There were the usual zipper pulls of every make and description...

Pulls.JPG

Of course you can’t detect at a playground, be it a park or a schoolyard and NOT find toys and other plastic bits and pieces of playground flotsam and jetsam.

Plasitc.JPG

There was bling to be found today as well. Nothing silver or gold, but somehow I didn’t lose heart, there were bits that certainly looked the part. Shiny trinkets and bangles and a Fairy! Perhaps for good luck!

Bling.JPG

Yeah.. a real, if not LIVE fairy. Tinkerbell I believe is her name. Poor little thing lost her head I think. Like a bug she’d been pinned to some little girl’s clothing and finally broke free to be rescued from the woodchips by me.

TinkComp.jpg

I believe it was at the third of the four schoolyards I searched today that I found tinkerbell. So I don’t think this morning’s first venue was in anyway related to karma for rescuing a lost fairy, famous or otherwise. After stopping by a favorite eatery for lunch for myself and my patiently waiting spouse, we called it a day and headed home. At home I finally emptied out my finds bag and took inventory of the treasures and coins that I’d recovered on today’s adventure. HOLY MOLY! And I thought the last detecting trip was rewarding! I suspected that I had quite a few coins from the first playground this morning, plus those few from the other three as well, but I had no idea just how much the tally would actually be! Spring cleaning is RIGHT! I cleaned house..er.. woodchips this morning. It’ll probably be quite a while before that tot lot “reloads” with donations from the kiddies, at least to the extent of what I found this morning. CHA CHING! Loading up the vacation kitty.

Clad.JPG

Yeah! A LOT of Coins! Too bad my equipment is beginning to sour on me. Not my trusty Prizm IV, but rather my poor abused little Bullseye II pinpointer.

Bullseye.JPG

*sigh* I guess I’m hard on them, this is the third one I’ve owned/used in four years. They all seem to wear thin on the end of the probe and the case cracks out at the base of the probe.

Tip.JPG

Case.JPG

Now I’m experiencing some dodgy on/off button performance as well. I really need to replace this pinpointer and SOON. Too bad my White’s pusher..err.. distributor is closed on weekends. I’ll have to call him on Monday or go by and see if I can get a pro-rated discount or a deal on a new Bullseye II. I can detect without it, but it’s an awful lot more work and not nearly as convenient without it. I’ve been known to load back up and go home instead of detecting when I find that I’ve forgotten to bring it with me. Perhaps the Vacation Kitty will be tapped to replace my Bullseye this time. <smile> Ah Karma! Hope you all get to get out and play soon too. Good luck and as always..

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Pin Pointer Update:

Woe is me.. or woe was me with an ailing pinpointer. I was worried that my metal detecting would take a back seat for a while, or at least be a lot less productive with my White's Bullseye being worn out and just about to fall apart on me. Monday after noon, after much deliberation, while driving to and from a doctors appointment for my wife in the next state... well I decided to break down and dip into the vacation fund that all my found money (clad) has been going into for the last several months. I figured it was just a case of reinvesting that bounty that my detectors and my hobby have provided for me. I extended our drive by another thirty or so miles to stop by the Bluegrass Distributor's office for White's Metal Detectors. I had planned on just out and out buying a brand new Bullseye II pinpointer to replace my worn unit. Instead, my friendly distributor simply traded out my worn unit for a brand new one. WOW! So no big expenditures this trip. I did end up buying a new finds bag to go with my gear however. Hey, I'd allready planned on spending more than that, so that's not a big deal. Anyway, I'm back in action with good equipment again. Thanks to my White's Distributor. Never use anything, or anyone else.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
nice finds!
whites always has great service. can't say enough about them...
my pinpointer has been on the fritz for a while, and i've felt totally naked without it.
got a new one in the mail today, and now it's like i'm wearing a new suit, strolling down off the mountain with a woman on each arm and a metal detector in my teeth.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
dwayne sueno said:
nice finds!
whites always has great service. can't say enough about them...
my pinpointer has been on the fritz for a while, and i've felt totally naked without it.
got a new one in the mail today, and now it's like i'm wearing a new suit, strolling down off the mountain with a woman on each arm and a metal detector in my teeth.

Now there's a mental picture to ponder over... but with a woman on each arm I'd be in trouble with a capital T. <laughing> Good luck to you my friend!

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
plehbah said:
I usually skip eating entirely on detecting days. I like the dizzy/excited feeling you get when you find a silver coin.

But then again, many days I come home hungry and with three cents.

A BIG gold chain. This year. I just can't get over the feeling.

Well you can't really tell, very much, from my member "photo" here on TNet, but I don't miss many meals. <embarassed grin> Aside from a couple of Rosies, I've yet to find any real silver coins. I've found some silver rings and jewelry, even a few bits of gold here and there, but none of the larger silver coins, not a quarter, not a half, not a dollar... *sigh* Oh to be sure, I'd be doing the happy dance if or when I *DO* find one, but I doubt I'll get dizzy. That is unless the Happy dance is so vigorous that I get winded or something. <laughing>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread