Square Coin In A Round Hole...

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stepped up to a brand new Garrett AT Pro yesterday and took her out to a well-hammered, older park in a nearby city. While checking the base of a tree, the AT Pro lit up. I thought it was another penny for the clad bag, but I was wrong. Looking into that nice round hole, I saw this square coin. I thought it was a token at first, but it read "1 CENT" and the date of 1920 on the reverse. I saw King George on the face and knew I had found a British colonial coin of some kind. Research shows it to be a "Straights Settlements" coin, from what is now western Malaysia.

I also hit an old school yard and found this nice brass buckle, made for cloth belts. It seems complete and I would appreciate any information on it from any forum members. It is about 1 1/2 inches square with no stamping on it. Thanks for looking! Subteranean

Attachments

• squarecoin.jpg 001.jpg
    squarecoin.jpg 001.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 162
  • squarecoin.jpg 002.jpg
    squarecoin.jpg 002.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 170
  • squarecoin.jpg 003.jpg
    squarecoin.jpg 003.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 147
Upvote 0

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Youre going to love that at pro! I sold both my Aces to buy a second one!
You have to love that square penny, cool!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool. first one of those I've seen dug. I've got one in with a bag full of foreign coins around here somewhere....

OP
OP
Subterranean

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I then tried to figure out how this came to rest in an Ozark park. All the houses surrounding the park appear to have been built in the late 1940's, and the park is next to an older church. So, either a WW2 vet brought this back from the CBI theater, or a missionary brought it back. Any other possibilities? Sub

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread