Squirrel Wars, The Last Straw

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Those darn grey squirrels have nearly wiped out our traditional red squirrels here in the UK. They were first introduced over here from America. We are not allowed to carry guns, (not sure if I would use one in any case.) Squirrels and Pidgeons are a real nuisance in my garden, and I dont know how to get rid of them. We don't have any trouble with them chewing wires etc... Trouble is, I really hate killing any animal. But then if I lived where wild animals roam, I would have to learn.....I guess. By the way....can you really eat squirrel ugh, they are tree rats

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Unicorn said:
Those darn grey squirrels have nearly wiped out our traditional red squirrels here in the UK. They were first introduced over here from America. We are not allowed to carry guns, (not sure if I would use one in any case.) Squirrels and Pidgeons are a real nuisance in my garden, and I dont know how to get rid of them. We don't have any trouble with them chewing wires etc... Trouble is, I really hate killing any animal. But then if I lived where wild animals roam, I would have to learn.....I guess. By the way....can you really eat squirrel ugh, they are tree rats

fake large rubber snakes help deter them, thats one of the items I use i my garden.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since my last episode I was told that moth balls wrapped up in a piece of panty hose would keep them away. They didn't say whether it was because of the panty hose or the moth balls! The problem isn't really because of wild animals as these darn rodents are pampered and fed by many of my neighbors and are almost tame. A few of them would turn me in if they knew what I was doing, but they have nevrr been out a wad of $$$ because of them. However, one lady had to pay big money to have them exterminated out of her attic. Another has them in her storage shed and they ate up her Christmas display. They have chewed through the cable TV lines too many times to inumerate. I have laid off shooting them at my wife's request but after we had to spend the $300+ to get the car fixed she has had a change of heart. They are of the rodent family, but they are good eating. Here's the recipe. Take about 4 squirrels ( preferably young ones as they are tougher when the get a few years old). Clean well being careful to remove all the hair and hide. Seperate them into pieces, legs, back, etc like you would any domestic animal. Marinate in milk over night in the refrig. Put 2 cups all purpose flour in a large plastic bag or grocery sack and add salt and pepper to taste. Toss in sectioned squirrel parts and shake until well coated. Drop pieces into hot oil and fry until crisp on all sides. Remove from heat and pour off the grease, setting aside for gravy later. Add just enough water to cover about half of each piece, place lid back on and simmer for an hour being careful not to let it boil dry. Remove the squirrel pieces and use the remaining pan stock and add just enough grease to make a nice gravy, about a tablespoon+ or-, plus a heaping table spoon of flour left over in the coating bag. While the squirrel is simmering make some mashed potatoes and bisquits and heat up some green veggy. I like green peas with mine. If you time it just right you will have just enough for about 4 people , squirrel, mashed potatoes and gravy and a green vegetable and fresh bisquits. That old squirrel will taste wonderful and be tender, oh and it tastes like chicken! Monty

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think you had a bad day?

Attachments

• Picture 6577.jpg
    Picture 6577.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 115
OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That squirrel catapult was hilarious! Now that's good ole American ingenuity at its best! A squirrel is a lot like a cat, they fall out of trees all the time but always land on their feet. I'll bet "no animals were injured in the making of that clip". Those little devils are tough! Another fix would be to get an owl to stay in the yard (if you could). I was in a park MDing one morning just at daylight and saw an owl float down and grab a squirrel and go back up into the trees. He didn't make a sound or even make a wing beat, just soared quietly in, made his grab and was gone. The rest of the squirrels just looked around like," what tha' heck", and didn't even get excited. I'll bet it wasn't long before one of them elbowed another one and said, "Hey, where'd Bob go"? :D Monty

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob .... BOB talk to me Bob ?

Attachments

• funny-picture-photo-nature-squirrel-kiss-creativity-pic.jpg
    funny-picture-photo-nature-squirrel-kiss-creativity-pic.jpg