SS Laconia information

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep6 has the Laconia and Cairnhill

"Deep6 commenced operations on Laconia in 2008 and subsequently agreed acontract with the UK Department of Transport and established salvagerights in the U.S. courts as well as being recognised as being“salvor in possession” of the vessel and cargo.
Odyssey MarineExploration, Inc subsequently visited the wreck and attempted to establish title in the US court but after discussions with the Department of Trade withdrew their claim."

Deep6 - A recognised world leader in deep ocean salvage

North Atlantic Arrests – Laconia and Cairn HillIn November 2008, Admiralty arrests were also filed on two shipwrecks located in the north Atlantic Ocean over 300 miles from the western approaches to the English Channel. (Case numbers 8:08-cv-02219 and 8:08-cv-02220). On November 13, 2008, the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida appointed Odyssey as substitute custodian of both sites and the artifacts recovered therefrom. On February 9, 2009, the United Kingdom filed Verified Statements of Right or Interest in each of the cases, asserting a potential interest in the vessels and/or cargo recovered from the sites.After reaching an agreement with the United Kingdom’s Ministry of Transportation, Odyssey filed a request on July 17, 2009, to dismiss without prejudice, case number 8:08-cv-02219, the arrest of the shipwreck site believed to be the Laconia. The case was closed on July 20, 2009.Odyssey filed an Amended Arrest complaint on July 16, 2009, on the shipwreck believed to be Cairn Hill (case number 8:08-cv-02220) to exclude from the arrest any property on the vessel that was the property of the United Kingdom. On August 11, 2009, Deep 6 Ltd., a British corporation, filed a claim in the case stating that Deep 6, Ltd. is the salvor in possession of the shipwreck. Odyssey has contested the claim and the parties are currently in the discovery stage. The claim is scheduled to be tried after February 1, 2011.

http://shipwreck.net/pr198.php

Last edited:

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Deep6 Holdings is the current salvor-in-possession. Odyssey Marine withdrew their claim.

The information I have is that the ship was carrying 1,000 silver bars and 2,000 cases of brass rifle cartridges. But Deep6 seems to be claiming it was 2,000 tons of brass cartridges. Maybe my information is wrong.

OP
OP
Vox veritas

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing information.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Deep6 Holdings is the current salvor-in-possession. Odyssey Marine withdrew their claim.

The information I have is that the ship was carrying 1,000 silver bars and 2,000 cases of brass rifle cartridges. But Deep6 seems to be claiming it was 2,000 tons of brass cartridges. Maybe my information is wrong.

Tony, thanks so much for all your contributions to researchers. I noted that wrecksite.eu posted your description of the cargo on the wrong Laconia. You're referring to the WW1 one, while they posted it to the WW2 one. I hope this helps with any confusion. Thanks, again, for your hard work!

LACONIA OCEAN LINER 1922-1942 - WRECK WRAK EPAVE WRACK PECIO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread