St Andrew's Cross Badge or medal - anyone know what organisation?

PaddyB

Jul 18, 2016
Devon, England
Primary Interest:
Other
Third and final one from this group of oddities is this badge or medal. I assume it is a St Andrew's and it is a shame about the damage to the enamel, but does anyone know which organisation issued this? It is about 1.5 inches tall.
St Andrews Badge 1.JPG St Andrews Badge 2.JPG

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a cool piece I have a piece that looks just like the gold colored piece

Upvote 0

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Paddy, although a little confusing!

The hanger hole is 180 degrees off. St Andrew was crucified upside down!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PaddyB

PaddyB

Jul 18, 2016
Devon, England
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes it is believed he was bound instead of nailed to the cross. The tradition has also grown up that the cross was in the form of an X instead of a +, though this is possibly apocryphal. Certainly the X shaped cross or Saltire is generally termed St Andrew's cross, and both St Andrew and the Saltire are associated with Scotland.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgive me Gentlemen, I stand corrected! Apparently I've confused my Saints. Most of what I thought I knew about St. Andrew was regarding the symbology of the cross on the Confederate Battle flag.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just tidying up some blasts from the past (including some very ancient ones), largely for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

Cool. It’s a Masonic ‘jewel’ for members of the St. Andreas (St Andrew) Lodge Fidelis in Hamburg, one of the Provincial Lodges of Lower Saxony as a subsidiary of the Grand National Lodge of Freemasons of Germany. Some of these jewels have ‘1717’ on the back, which is presumably the foundation date for the organisation, although the medals themselves date from the second half of the 1800s through to the pre-WWII 1900s. Take some of the fleabay prices being asked with a large pinch of salt.

St Andreas1.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28567576...MIkIz0lejChAMVG41QBh1AjgFCEAQYASABEgL-gvD_BwE

St Andreas2.jpg

https://www.ma-shops.co.uk/mueller/item.php?id=39697

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread