St Johns River

sanddrifter

Dec 2, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
I am new and usually do beach detecting. I was wondering how do I go about detecting the St Johns River. Do most of you work the edge and if so do you need permission? Where would you go park to access the river. Do most of you go in the water? What would I most likely be looking for? My husband would enjoy the hiking adventure while I detect.

Thanks for your information!!!!

Sanddrifter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are public entry where boats put in as well as city and county parks that have public access......

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Sanddrifter,

I think you are most likely to find alligators, ticks and leaches. But, hey, you only live once.

Jack

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I also wouldn't set foot in there unless I had a vulcanized rubber dry suit. The sludge has more toxins in than you want to be exposed to. Now, if you had wanted to head upstream (south), then the pollution might diminish but the gators would more than make up the risk. IMO, it just wouldn't be worth it.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've visited the St. Johns river east of Jacksonville.

I've lived on a river about that size most of my life, and I am serious when I say that it is dangerous to mess around in a large river like the St. Johns. I have been in about every situation you can imagine, including being rolled along the bottom 20 feet down in heavy current with zero visibility and watching people drown, helpless to save them.

Unless you're in your 20s and a great swimmer, I wouldn't go into it. Slippery mud, shifting bottom you can't see, wakes from passing boats, not to mention the denizens. You're just a second away from an uncontrolled accident.

Stay on dry land, stay around, and have lots of fun.

OP
OP
sanddrifter

sanddrifter

Dec 2, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Well, I know now I will STAY on the beach!!! Thanks for all the information.

So I guess no gator is getting me any time soon. HAHA

Thanks!
Mary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions