ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for a metals supplier in your area.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you choose Alum pipe make sure you use heavy wall tubing.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My Stealth got away from me today, motor boat went by and the waves hit. I was already chin deep in the water, so I had to get back as quick as possible. In my flailing I'd let go of my scoop. I'm fortunate that my ash post hole digger handle floats upright, so I got it. Had I used a metal handle I'd have been unable to retrieve my $300 scoop. Another member here said that the carbon fiber handles float upright too.

A point for you to ponder.....

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT PRO,
Whites MXT TRACKER E-SERIES
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Stealth got away from me today, motor boat went by and the waves hit. I was already chin deep in the water, so I had to get back as quick as possible. In my flailing I'd let go of my scoop. I'm fortunate that my ash post hole digger handle floats upright, so I got it. Had I used a metal handle I'd have been unable to retrieve my $300 scoop. Another member here said that the carbon fiber handles float upright too.

A point for you to ponder.....

Glad to hear you didn't loose your scoop.
I should be able to find a wooden handle at the local hardware store. Didn't really want a metal handle to add additional weight. I think I'll get a quick release so I can remove handle from scoop when loading in the vehicle. Can I ask, what the total length of your scoop is, while I'm at it? And if you had to modify the handle to fit the sand scoop?

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Point well taken. Thanks AARC

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I'll get a quick release so I can remove handle from scoop when loading in the vehicle. Can I ask, what the total length of your scoop is, while I'm at it? And if you had to modify the handle to fit the sand scoop?

I'm having to go off memory here, and memory isn't always dependable.

I just bought the Stealth, wasn't thinking about handles yet. If I remember correctly, my particular setup used standard 1 1/4" U-Bolts, and the carbon fiber shafts were $100. So, I took a walk through Lowes, I'd already considered an Ash handle = post hole diggers, strong & flexible. I think it was $14.00 and measured a 1/16th over 1 1/4". I had to insert it into the scoop handle end. Clamped it down with the two u-bolts. On the end handle, I picked up one of those handle bar covers for the other end, and picked up one of those leverage handles posted lately. All for 1/4 the price of the carbon fiber.

As for height, I'm 5'-10" and sitting on the sand it's solid chest high, haven't measured it.

YES! With the weight of the handle plus the scoop, it's a bit heavy when you're carrying it around. But how far do you have to carry it? It's a lot lighter in the water, and the buoyancy sometimes serves to your advantage.

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm having to go off memory here, and memory isn't always dependable.

I just bought the Stealth, wasn't thinking about handles yet. If I remember correctly, my particular setup used standard 1 1/4" U-Bolts, and the carbon fiber shafts were $100. So, I took a walk through Lowes, I'd already considered an Ash handle = post hole diggers, strong & flexible. I think it was $14.00 and measured a 1/16th over 1 1/4". I had to insert it into the scoop handle end. Clamped it down with the two u-bolts. On the end handle, I picked up one of those handle bar covers for the other end, and picked up one of those leverage handles posted lately. All for 1/4 the price of the carbon fiber.

As for height, I'm 5'-10" and sitting on the sand it's solid chest high, haven't measured it.

YES! With the weight of the handle plus the scoop, it's a bit heavy when you're carrying it around. But how far do you have to carry it? It's a lot lighter in the water, and the buoyancy sometimes serves to your advantage.

Took off to the hardware store before your post, but didn't matter anyways. I have a completely different setup then yours. Mine has a hole for the handle that isn't slotted and a hole drilled in the side for a wood screw. The handles at Lowes were tapered and a bit of a sloppy fit. So, decided to wait until tomorrow since they were closing anyways. I guess the handle can be cut down a tad for a snug fit, but then I don't like the idea of a wood screw holding the handle on. I will try and drill the hole on the other side for mounting the handle with a pin with a bail on it so the handle can be removed easily for transport, but if I remember correctly, stainless steel is hard to drill through.

Thanks and HH

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wooden dowels in the lumber section. I just purchased a length of white vinyl covered dowel for my stealth scoop, strong like bull too. Just make sure the grain is running perpendicular to the scoop when mounting.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to hear you didn't loose your scoop.
I should be able to find a wooden handle at the local hardware store. Didn't really want a metal handle to add additional weight. I think I'll get a quick release so I can remove handle from scoop when loading in the vehicle. Can I ask, what the total length of your scoop is, while I'm at it? And if you had to modify the handle to fit the sand scoop?

I'm using a wooden shovel handle on mine and it's heavy as [emoji90].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wooden dowels in the lumber section. I just purchased a length of white vinyl covered dowel for my stealth scoop, strong like bull too. Just make sure the grain is running perpendicular to the scoop when mounting.

Great idea. Will check selection at hardware store.

Thanks and HH

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alum heavy wall or decent medium wall..
expanding foam fill it... cap and done.

Will last indefinitely and floats straight up.

Personally I am "anti wood"... I do not like anything wood when it comes to being in use / constant contact with water.
Wood is a host for mold and rot even if you do not see it.
And no matter what... will at some point need to be replaced.

If you store your scoop indoors you will be bringing that into your home as well.

21630_F.jpg mO2SJWGqkJISV9ODmSiGOqw.jpg mYJrxUmDLdXCpuo82VJR5Fw.jpg 6116974.jpg

PS >
For those of you who "almost lost my scoopers"...
One word...

Lanyard.

IMO everything and anything you "might or could" loose... should have one.
A scoop leash is easily made from the "coil plastic wire".
Attach with brass snap hook(s) for easy removal.

brass-snap-hook-1919-m.jpg School-Consumable-Plastic-Binding-Spiral-Coil-wire.jpg

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PSS... use a white cap PVC is fine... screw via both sides in with SS screws (panheads)
IF adding lanyard...
small SS eyebolt EXACT length with Nylock nut INSTEAD or screws... one EYE bolt.
If longer bolt...
Cut. and wire wheel smooth.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh...
For the spiral wire...
Crimps are next to cable and chain etc at Home depot.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is cheaper "alternate" foam filler for shaft.

8ddad1fe-0861-4226-b221-8566ef959d5f_400.jpg

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alum heavy wall or decent medium wall..
expanding foam fill it... cap and done.

Will last indefinitely and floats straight up.

Personally I am "anti wood"... I do not like anything wood when it comes to being in use / constant contact with water.
Wood is a host for mold and rot even if you do not see it.
And no matter what... will at some point need to be replaced.

If you store your scoop indoors you will be bringing that into your home as well.

View attachment 1361280 View attachment 1361281 View attachment 1361282 View attachment 1361283

PS >
For those of you who "almost lost my scoopers"...
One word...

Lanyard.

IMO everything and anything you "might or could" loose... should have one.
A scoop leash is easily made from the "coil plastic wire".
Attach with brass snap hook(s) for easy removal.

View attachment 1361278 View attachment 1361279

AARC, best handle and leash idea yet

Thanks and HH

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks...
Oh a few more words on this...

IF going with the Alum as suggested...

When going to metal supply house... ask for the "scrap metals" section if they have one...
If not...
Leave and find a supply house that does.
Make some new friends if possible...
These places come in handy.

Anyway... get more tube than you need.
In other words... get longer a piece than needed... you can always cut it down later if decided.
Even if foamed etc.
The reason for this is simple...

Better to have more than less. :P
You can always go "down"" in size... but costs AGAIN to go "up" if later desired.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Annnnnnddddd finally yet. heh

Use tube cutter.
HD carries them... and so do neighbors :P

Oh... and ALWAYS use SS when attaching.
Rinse scoop after use and enjoy for the rest of your life if you so choose.

Once and done.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NP...
Lucky for you I am feeling "helpful" today :P