Stamps - Need Help

S

stefen

A year ago or so, out of curiosity I picked up a cardboard box that my fiance and her brother and sister threw into the trash while looking through their parents and grandparents stored belongings.

The box contained 9 - 3 ring binders containing hundred of thousands cancelled stamps belonging to their grandfather.

So I rescued the box...and now my interest is piqued...

The stamps are mounted on sheets and are catorgorized by state and with sub-catagories by village, townships and cities. The collection began in the late 1800's up to the mid-50's and most of the stamps are not dated.

Apparently at one time each post office issued their own stamp that included the village, town or city and state name before stamps became nationalized.

There may be hundreds of stamps for each post office origin on each page...

Now, I am not at all knowledgeable about stamps and have no clue of how or where to start an investigation or what references to use...

I assume you can see where this is going...

Help...

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Oh come on Stefen, you know we need pictures!!! I hope the batch is worth a fortune! :)

OP
OP
S

stefen

nhbenz said:
Oh come on Stefen, you know we need pictures!!! I hope the batch is worth a fortune! :)

PICTURES? Now thats a problem...

We lost our digital camera in Victoria BC last week...Cristina left it in a restroom and went back immediately and it was gone...$500 bucks birthday present vanished...

((As a side note, why do people call a restroom a restroom? Lets call a spade a spade...its not for resting...lets call them a releif room or a Scheißehaus))

I'd be lucky to get a picture of the box let alone the hundred of thousands of cancelled stamps...gotta use my cell phone and can't find the idiot booklet of how to transfer to the PC...that's another story...

When I get a chance, I'll see if I can accommodate with pics... :)

The reason I asked for help is that I cannot find a site on the web that corresponds to my needs...

I did find that a 1845 St, louis stamp was worth $1000 in 1900...wouldn't that be a hoot if we had a full page of those puppies...lets see, with inflation and such, maybe...?

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Well, the cold weather has now arrived in the northeast, and I've already run out of crossword and Suduko puzzles, so we're going to need a description of some of the oldies in this collection of yours, else I'm going to be up to two packs a day at my other hobby.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend finding a stamp club in your area and take some down there someone will let you know what you got. Just don't trust any of them! ;D

OP
OP
S

stefen

Thank you all for the advice.

Nehbenz...Trust me when I say 'get another hobby'.

Diggummup...Who's the chick with the machine gun? Obviously not squirrel hunting.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
Diggummup...Who's the chick with the machine gun? Obviously not squirrel hunting.
Get it right. :) Sniper rifle- .50 caliber to be exact. Maximum effective range 2000 yards. When the shinola hits the fan, we'll be ready! Gotta love a woman that can handle a big gun.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
What you are talking about are not stamps. Stamps are little pieces of paper. What you are describing are post marks or cancellations. Do a google search for postmarks and find the national club. a message to them may get advise on selling them. good luck,
siegfried schlagrule

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Siegfried Schlagrule said:
What you are talking about are not stamps. Stamps are little pieces of paper. What you are describing are post marks or cancellations. Do a google search for postmarks and find the national club. a message to them may get advise on selling them. good luck,
siegfried schlagrule
Doh! Your right S.S., It seems your the only one that read the post correctly. :-[ Here is a link that may help-http://www.postmarks.org/ Here is a page in this link you should read. I included it so you wouldn't have to search for it - http://www.postmarks.org/members/intro.htm This may be of help too-http://www.linns.com/search.asp?uID= (type postmarks in the search box)

OP
OP
S

stefen

diggummup said:
Siegfried Schlagrule said:
siegfried schlagrule
Doh! Your right S.S., It seems your the only one that read the post correctly. :-[ Here is a link that may help-http://www.postmarks.org/ Here is a page in this link you should read. I included it so you wouldn't have to search for it - http://www.postmarks.org/members/intro.htm This may be of help too-http://www.linns.com/search.asp?uID= (type postmarks in the search box)

Thanks to all that have responded...

What I have are actual postal stamps...little peices of paper...some with perforated edges...

The only difference is that they were pre-cancelled before being sold or used...

Since this post originated I did find 'The Precancelled Stamp Society' which I am now in contact with.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Yep you could have that many pre-cancels. Glad you found the right spot to contact. regards, siegfried schlagrule

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread