Standard Oil Company of California 1933 $1 Promissory Note

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See attached, please.

Hi Everybody I found this note on Friday the 13th. Maybe my lucky day? I have searched for another on line and can't find any. I showed it to my coin dealer(50 years in the business) and he never saw one either. Any help will be appreciated. Standard Oil Company of California Promissory Note March 2, 1933.
Pay to the bearer one dollar in lawful money of the United States. That would be silver as I think gold was taken off the market in 1933, not sure of the date.

Best wishes.....Joe McDonough

Attachments

• IMG9.jpg
    IMG9.jpg
    537.6 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG10.jpg
    IMG10.jpg
    538.8 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Upvote 14
OP
OP
J

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greastart, I found it at a yard sale near Wilkes Barre Pa. came as a lot price for the note, a Swiss army watch, two ammo cans(one full of ammo), a presentation photo of Tobyhanna army depot signed by the crew, total cost for the lot $42.00. Great Friday the 13th for me.....Joe McDonough

OP
OP
J

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trdking, Will send photos to ha.com today. I will let you know what happens.....Joe McDonough

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one online.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sta...AUICSgB&biw=360&bih=511#imgrc=clkXanzikm6KvM:
Oh wait...Hehe just joking!
Great find!

Edit: I do see 2 of these notes that were listed on ha.com. Still not a lot of info about them though. On one of them the description says they were probably not issued out and then destroyed so not many exist. A person could also see what it sold for if they created an account there, but I haven't.
The note is also listed in a book called, "The Official Blackbook Price Guide to U.s. Paper Money 2010" and says $175 for their value.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trdking, I heard back from ha.com. Will know in a couple days what they have to say.....Joe McDonough

OP
OP
J

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heritage Auctions have estimated $50.00 to $75.00 I will send it to them for auction and see what happens.....Joe McDonough

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
1933 was the year that all the gold coins in America were recalled by the govt ( basically it made it illegal for citizens to own American gold coins)....America went to the silver standard ---all gold coins or gold backed bills were supposed to be exchanged for silver coinage or silver certs (bills)...the gold was to be used to help wipe out the nation WW 1 war debt and depression era govt debts

OP
OP
J

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, the minimum consignment for Heritage is $5,000 so off to ebay she goes. Good luck if you are going to bid.....Joe McDonough

THREE BIDS ALREADY, COULD GET EXCITING BY THE END.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great sale on the bay beat the low estimate $50.00. Sold for $53.00.....Joe McDonough

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread