Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I hit my new permission again today and boy was I surprised. I had a slamming hit only three inches down, so I was figuring a clad half, but out popped a standing quarter! I thought about other signals this shallow and figured I'd pop anything 3" down out. Long story short, 3 Washingtons and a Merc all at 3"! Go figure how they stayed so shallow. The date on the SLQ is worn but under a microscope it reads 1923.

I was rained on but hey, no worries. It beats snow!

Happy hunting!

Attachments

• image-1208083424.jpg
    image-1208083424.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 151
Upvote 13

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I would most certainly hunt in the rain, maybe even a snowstorm, for those kinds of finds. Congrats

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy Smokes! Great silver finds. Congrats to you.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I would most certainly hunt in the rain, maybe even a snowstorm, for those kinds of finds. Congrats
Agreed! I might have taken a day off but this spot coughed up 6 silvers yesterday.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful silvers Scrappy and they're oldies too! :thumbsup:

Where there's one there's more, start gridding bud.

Dave

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome silver score!, I'm dying to learn this etrac, I gotta be patient lol

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very nice haul for a single outing ! There's no logic to how deep or shallow a coin might be when you detect it - coins don't
necessarily sink (deposition of material on top might be a more accurate description in many cases ) I've watched live digs in the UK,
where medieval period coins are dug at three to five inches - where in the U.S. you might expect to dig a "mercury" dime at that
depth - go figure ! If coins sank to the degree that many of us think they do , 2000 year old Roman and Celtic coins would be
out of range of every detector - even with the plow (plough ? spelling ) churning things up .

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's what I call a gold say!

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good day!!**....autocorrect

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you're hammering the silvers bro. I found a 1688 map that showed me some very interesting things. Let's just say next week their May be some 1600s items posted....I hope.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a very nice haul for a single outing ! There's no logic to how deep or shallow a coin might be when you detect it - coins don't necessarily sink (deposition of material on top might be a more accurate description in many cases ) I've watched live digs in the UK, where medieval period coins are dug at three to five inches - where in the U.S. you might expect to dig a "mercury" dime at that depth - go figure ! If coins sank to the degree that many of us think they do , 2000 year old Roman and Celtic coins would be out of range of every detector - even with the plow (plough ? spelling ) churning things up .
i agree 100%. I find the best way to learn a new area is to dig many depths and figure age-by-depth.
Good day!!**....autocorrect
thanks Nepa
Nice group of silvers!
thanks. I especially love the look of the SLQ's. One of the two bet 20th century designs.
Wow you're hammering the silvers bro. I found a 1688 map that showed me some very interesting things. Let's just say next week their May be some 1600s items posted....I hope.
I get, on average, a little under an hour after work Abe, so I really need to make every minute count. I'll give you a ring tomorrow- I want to hear more about that old spot!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i agree 100%. I find the best way to learn a new area is to dig many depths and figure age-by-depth. thanks Nepa thanks. I especially love the look of the SLQ's. One of the two bet 20th century designs. I get, on average, a little under an hour after work Abe, so I really need to make every minute count. I'll give you a ring tomorrow- I want to hear more about that old spot!
Sounds good buddy. I am beyond excited about this map. Def the earliest useful so that I've found

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get, on average, a little under an hour after work Abe, so I really need to make every minute count.

indeed you did make every minute count here, that's a nice pile of silver quarters, don't see that too often!

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ur killing the silver DUDE! !!
The CTX is a silver sniffer!!
Also being in the right spot helps also..lol
George

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a dream dig for me right there. Well done.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer haul. I hope you're not finished with that new permission.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done Scrappy! $1.10 in silver coins! Congrats on acquiring a really sweet permission. GL&HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread