Standing ovation

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Just a few weeks ago I found my first Standing Liberty Quarter (dateless, but type II 1917-24). Today, I was able to add to the SLQ stable with a 1917D (type I). A friend with a getaway place out in the country gave me the OK to hunt his place; in the course of scouting it out, I spotted a clothesline and decided to start there. Literally seconds after I began my hunt, on the first signal, my XLT shouted "quarter" at about 4.5 inches. I pulled out the plug and could see the silver disk still partly covered with dirt at the bottom of the hole. Expecting Washington, I was delighted to see the eagle in flight that signified SLQ. A little research at home was interesting: Of the two types of 17D, mine is way lower mint but the other variety is worth more. Someone who knows these coins better might be able to elaborate on that. As it happens, I finally got a digital camera yesterday, but I haven't figured out how to produce a good picture of this coin (yet). My other finds at the site today were six wheaties from the 40's and 50's and some clad. Still have a long way to go, so there is probably more silver waiting for me.

Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HD,

Looks like you are off to a good start. Excellent finds, can't wait to see the pics.

;) RR

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great, sounds like you had a great day. That Whites XLT is still finding good coins. I have one and it has been a great detector.

Can't wait to see the pictures of your finds.

HH,Ringfinder

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go half!!! My first upgrade will be to an XLT.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread