Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
It's been a miserable couple of days, and two colonial sites tanked. Someone who really knew what they were doing must have hit these. My only saving grace was a Standing quarter (1925) and a '64 dime. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429019380.003572.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429019395.386319.jpg

I try and explain to people about finding a good site, and the difficulties. First you find, pouring over old maps etc. Next you locate, find with your boots on the ground, they score permission. Next come the part when you figure out if it's been picked clean or not. It ain't easy, lol. With 3 flops in a week, it makes me appreciate when I find a good one!

Happy hunting fellas

Upvote 13

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great slq!, I know what you mean about sites that seem promising That don produce much

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah been there thinking handfuls of goodies just waiting on me. And then nothing. Great silver finds though. Just move to next location.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, moving on. I dug about 60 wheats and Indians (90% wheats) too. Someone much have cherry picked a while before me. Well hopefully there's a silver lining. I shod get a formal approval for a 1680's site that spans acres and centered a community. Cross my fingers

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah virgin spots always makes you forgot the sites that don't pan out. Good luck on your 1680's spot. We will be waiting on some amazing finds post.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, moving on. I dug about 60 wheats and Indians (90% wheats) too. Someone much have cherry picked a while before me. Well hopefully there's a silver lining. I shod get a formal approval for a 1680's site that spans acres and centered a community. Cross my fingers

Now that sounds like a promising site, good luck with it

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I had two flops last week. Both looked good, but produced very little. Somebody obviously beat me to the loot.

That SLQ is really nice. Congrats on finding a nice one with a date! Good show. GL&HH.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love colonials, but if you're not finding any, a SLQ as nice as yours helps save the day. Nice going.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs . Thanks for sharing the hunt and the pictures

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got a couple silvers anyway to hold you over until your next good site. The kid and I have been having trouble finding another good property. The last 5 properties have been hit before we got to them.
They were either already hit or the property was recently graded?
Good Luck on your 1680's site!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That SLQ's in great shape. It's one of my all-time favorite coin designs. They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice Standing Liberty Quarter Dollar:occasion14: ! Still searching for my first dated one here, not giving up on that :headbang:

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the replies guys. I also returned to a site that I found a KG3 and 1750's shoe buckle with my CTX, hoping to find more goodies in the mineralized ground that my T2 maybe missed. No such luck. I was visiting my folks so I don't get out there often enough to grid, which I would do if I lived nearby. Hopefully the 1680s spot will pan out and I'll have years of good grounds to cover.

Cheers

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silvers! Congrats!

Hope your next site is super rich in old silver and relics!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's tough my man. I often have to hike a long way or hop in my canoe. It's not easy to find spots that most people won't put in the effort to get to. The risk with what I do is spending hours just getting to a site and if it's a bust your whole day is done. At least you scored a big silver bro. And one of these sites will be a gold mine. Can't wait to see that post when you hit that super early virgin site

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You got a couple silvers anyway to hold you over until your next good site. The kid and I have been having trouble finding another good property. The last 5 properties have been hit before we got to them. They were either already hit or the property was recently graded? Good Luck on your 1680's site!!
Super hard to find an occupied 2-3 century old site that hasn't had it's surface reconfigured at some time. That's why Abe scouts out those places that rotted into the ground by 1800 and hogs them all to himself!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Super hard to find an occupied 2-3 century old site that hasn't had it's surface reconfigured at some time. That's why Abe scouts out those places that rotted into the ground by 1800 and hogs them all to himself!

Haha! I don't know ya but I know Abe and you obviously know him well so that makes us friends. Yeah, he's a site hogger alright, and loves posting pics on people's threads. Lol. Ain't he something?

Ed (Upstate NY)

Aug 19, 2007
New York's Capital Region
Detector(s) used
New for 2023 Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus. Minelab Explorers SE Pro & XS, Whites 6000 Di Pro, DFX & Beach Hunter, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing worse than researching a new site and when arriving you find previously dug iron junk up against trees and strewn about !!! Arghhh......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread