Start Saving Your Clad!

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
The intrinsic value of clad may increase if this congressnut's bill were to actually pass:

U.S. Congress Seeks to Replace the Base Metal of Most American Coins With Steel - GoldSilver.com

It must be close because I stopped by a coin dealer's tables at a show today and he was selling Kennedy halves for $1/each. Not proofs, not uncommon dates, not polished even.

At least his junk silver was priced closer to actual melt value than at the area LCS.

Rascal

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eating_popcorn.gif

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Within the next 20 years if coinage is even necessary they will be made with no metal at all. The process is already in existence and the cost per coin regardless of size or shape is in the factions of a cent each. The material to be used is silica base and is essentially sand made into a glass like substance that has the tensile strength greater than steel. They would have the feel and weight of currant coinage and can be colored, sized and shaped to any degree. A dye is used to identify each coins' value to vending machines and other electronic devices. Estimated cost to produce a single coin is in the 1/32 of a cent range. So, in the future finding these coins your grand children would require a scanning machine that could identify through the dye in each coin. Metal detectors would truly be 'relic hunters'

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is already an alternative currency being used in New Hampshire by folks who are participating in the Free State Project there. They not only use small amounts of silver laminated into plastic cards (kind of like credit cards) that reflect the true value--more or less--of the silver contained therein, but they also have cards containing very small amounts of gold. It appears that the Free Staters actually use this "shire silver" instead of U.S. currency, though not exclusively, I'm sure. :3barsgold:

More power to 'em, I say.

Shire Silver Production at 2013 NH Liberty Forum | NH For Liberty

clarknau

Jul 25, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
Within the next 20 years if coinage is even necessary they will be made with no metal at all. The process is already in existence and the cost per coin regardless of size or shape is in the factions of a cent each. The material to be used is silica base and is essentially sand made into a glass like substance that has the tensile strength greater than steel. They would have the feel and weight of currant coinage and can be colored, sized and shaped to any degree. A dye is used to identify each coins' value to vending machines and other electronic devices. Estimated cost to produce a single coin is in the 1/32 of a cent range. So, in the future finding these coins your grand children would require a scanning machine that could identify through the dye in each coin. Metal detectors would truly be 'relic hunters'

Do you have a link to this new coin material or any info about it?

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
steel coins weigh considerably less than clad coinage, my homie eminem probably lobbed a couple of rolls at them, filled with clad, they got some pretty bad concussions. since slim shady is above the law, I highly doubt they could prosecute him, so they do the next best thing and make steel instead of clad the norm.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread